The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

What are you reading?

I alternate reading between my kindle and physical books. Most new titles I buy in kindle form, except for additions to a handful of collections that I have built up over many years There is a special satisfaction in browsing a physical book but I fully appreciate the benefits of electronic media.

I switched to a Kindle year ago & have never looked back. I bought a decent leather case for it, so I could hold and open it like a book. Somehow that made all the difference in my head. You need to grab a teenager to set it up for you.

Essex UK

I love reading and usually get most of my books from the library which I am really missing with the local libraries still being closed. I wonder if they could be re-opened having you sanitise your hands before browsing the books as most of the libraries do not need alot of social distancing as most of the times when I have gone to one there are less people there that I can count on one hand. I do still buy the odd books which I have done lately from the supermarket or garden centres where there has been no problem buying them. I was given a kindle which I wish I knew how to use but I need somebody to help me set it up as I am not very computer literate. It would be great for me to download books as I read different subjects and a kindle is great for when going away instead of carrying a load of printed books which I still really prefer to read.

Thanks for the update @Grey-Wolf I’ll have to give the site a try.

Essex UK

@coolonespa no, just download straight to laptop, of all the free e book sites I’ve trawled, this is the first one I’ve come across which actually downloads books successfully in minutes and does not demand your bank details. Also a lot of their gear is hard to find out of print titles too,
barring the musty smell it’s like carrying an entire second hand book shop in your device !

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Thanks @GreyWolf

Have you been reading these books on a Kindle? Just interested to see if you’ve found out if that works OK.

Essex UK

Discovered this link over lockdown and was so glad I did, if you wish to extend your library to the tune of say around 3,000 e-titles (all genres and all for free), this site is worth a click;

http://www.globalgreyebooks.com

Thank you Steve, likewise. Recommended reading for all on here in my humble is the NEXUS magazine which has had some somewhat expose pieces on the background, origin, nature and aftermath of Covid 19 in the past few issues, much of which you will not read about in mainstream media:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 06 Aug 17:09

@GreyWolf wrote:

For a new window on your reading

Thanks GW. Good to hear from you again.

Essex UK

In a similar vein to the previous post “The Ham” is a free publication based in Goldsmiths’ University London, magazine of poetry , short fiction, photography and non fiction. Further details from:

http://www.thehamfreepress.wordpress.com

Wakefield, West Yorks.
Sign in to add your message