Welcome to our forums.

What are you reading ?

iwent wrote:

went
07:34 27-Nov-19

GeminiJen wrote:

So, what would you nominate as a scary read?

The scariest book I ever read was The Haunting of Toby Jugg by Dennis Wheatley, which I read about 50 years ago.
I’m not sure whether I’d find it so scary now, as the genre has been multiplied and intensified out of all recognition. Having said that, Wheatley’s plot has also been rehashed a good few times in the intervening years.
If any of you want to try it I suggest you don’t read the Wikipedia entry (it really needs a spoiler alert.) But I’d love to know what anyone thinks of it in our 2019 world.

I enjoyed that, also, @iwent – and most of Dennis Wheatley’s Black Magic books. Most of us agree that a film is never as good as the book, but I was most disappointed in the casting of The Devil Rides Out. Marie is described as ‘a little pocket Venus with a heart-shaped face and chestnut curls’. She was played by Sarah Lawson who had short straight red hair, was tall, and shoulders like a prop forward!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

GeminiJen wrote:

The scariest book I ever read was The Haunting of Toby Jugg by Dennis Wheatley, which I read about 50 years ago.
I’m not sure whether I’d find it so scary now, as the genre has been multiplied and intensified out of all recognition. Having said that, Wheatley’s plot has also been rehashed a good few times in the intervening years.
If any of you want to try it I suggest you don’t read the Wikipedia entry (it really needs a spoiler alert.) But I’d love to know what anyone thinks of it in our 2019 world.

Please let us know what you thought of it when you’ve finished it @TedKngt

Essex UK

Zadie Smith’s White Teeth. Had this book on my shelf for a very long time as I have read about good reviews but I am only picking it up now. Hoping to finish it by this weekend.

coolonespa wrote:

I’m reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
by Yuval Noah Harari
Finished reading this now. Hugely thought provoking about our history and some thoughts about our possible futures. Some particularly interesting views on capitalism. A somewhat academic style & possibly not the easiest of reads but I kept going back to it and reading it in chunks because of its fascinating views on our life.

Decided to read Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari. Sadly, whilst there was some new and fascinating thoughts about where humans might go from here, there was far too much repetition from the first book (or at least rehashing). Gave up reading part way through.

Essex UK

@GeminiJen wrote:

Its been a while since I’ve read a genuinely scary book but from memory I found the Stephen King book with the clown was quite scary (was it called IT?)

Also the The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham was quite chilling if you let the imagination run.

Essex UK

Posted on What are you listening to?

Reposting here in case of interest, especially to fans of Lee Child.
Radio 4’s Open Book today.
Interesting interview by Mariella Frostrup with Lee Child and Pat Barker.
On our need for heroes through the ages.

Gullane

@Grey-Wolf
My ‘go to’ author for an easy, gentle read, one that restores your faith in humanity, has to be Alexander McCall Smith.
I seem to recall reading that over 90% of his readers are women….so he clearly doesn’t appeal to everyone.
It’s also fair to say that he’s a really prolific writer. I used to buy his books….but now borrow.
Most people will know him for his No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, but I’m also a fan of the 44 Scotland Street and the Sunday Philosophy Club series, both set in Edinburgh; also the von Igelfeld novels.
Perceptive, urbane, unfailingly witty and wise…and comes over as a really nice person too …

Gullane

@GeminiJen I fully empathise with the soft and fluffy sentiment as an antidote if you’ve been trawling through the pages of the high brow, the heavy, the challenging and the noir as I tend to do, you do need a ‘layby’ now and again as an interlude. For me Roald Dahl’s short stories “Completely Unexpected Tales” (about fifty in all), offer that outlet, well crafted, quirky but quaint, likewise the tales of John Wyndham “Consider Her Ways & Others” , “Jizzle” and “Seeds of Time” all short story collections, likewise those of Arthur C Clarke “Exploration to Earth” Ray Bradbury “Machineries of Joy” all big on ideas but “light” on the reading palate. Re-read John Steinbeck’s novella “The Pearl” the other week , probably the most poignantly, despairingly sad book I’ve ever read…and yes it’s all in the course of ‘art’ etc. etc. but there comes a time when you have to escape into some alternatives…though not, for me, the ‘penny dreadfuls’ as I call them: Messrs. Rankin, Child, Mankell, Robinson, Crais. You can keep your corpses, morgues and Glaswegian backstreets away from me thank you very much indeed.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 18 Nov 19:16
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Have just finished re-reading Margaret Atwood The Handmaid’s Tale.
I first read this more than 20 years ago and decided to read it again before reading her sequel The Testaments
I haven’t watched the TV series.
Briefly, this is a dystopian novel, set in 21st century America.
What I found particularly chilling is that so many of the horrific events in the book have already happened somewhere in the world.
E.g. Fertility control in China; The Disappeared in Argentina; The Salem Witch Trials…..
So, not comfortable reading.
I’ve now decided to read something soft and fluffy before tackling the sequel

Gullane
Sign in to add your message