Welcome to our forums.

What are you reading ?

You’re welcome @JoCarroll Praise where due I say.

My final holiday read was very very different, The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton #1) by Douglas Lindsay

A gritty tale set in Glasgow with the “damaged” detective battling through his own issues as well as investigating the crime. Reminded me a bit of the Inspector Rebus stories by Ian Rankin. I had a bit of a struggle to get into this, toyed with giving up but got into it and enjoyed it in the end. I’d read another if I could pick it up for free as I did this one.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
A stark and edgy new police thriller from the creator of the Barney Thomson series.

A psychopath walks the streets of Glasgow, selecting his first victim. He sees his ex-girlfriend everywhere, and he will have her back.

When a woman is savagely murdered, her body stabbed over a hundred times, the police know from the nature of the crime that the killer will strike again. DCI Bloonsbury, the once-feted detective, is put in charge of the investigation, but as the killer begins to hit much closer to home and an old police conspiracy starts to unravel, Bloonsbury slides further into morose alcoholic depression.

In the middle of it all is Detective Sergeant Thomas Hutton, juggling divorce, deception, alcohol, murdered colleagues, and Dylan. He could use a break but the dead will not rest and the past will not be buried until he can catch the latest serial killer to haunt the streets of his city.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13453467-the-unburied-dead?ac=1&from_search=true

Essex UK

oh @coolenespa – I’ve only just caught up with this (how remiss of me) – how very kind. Thank you – I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Just finished reading Little Fires Everywhere.
Judging from reviews, readers’ views range widely.
I found it to be a beautiful and layered story. …dealing with family dynamics, secrets and small town life.
Well written with some beautiful imagery and credible characters.

Storyline
Set in Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, where everything is planned – from the layout of the winding roads, to the colours of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.
Enter Mia Warren – an enigmatic artist and single mother – who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenage daughter Pearl and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.
When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town–and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia’s past. But her obsession will have unexpected and devastating costs.

Gullane

My required poolside reading also seems to include a book by @jocarroll as well as James Patterson & this time I went for Vultures Overhead: Over the Hill in Cuba.

Interesting to read Jo’s experiences in Cuba having travelled there myself & compare her perceptions with my own. As always a great read “travelling” along with Jo. It also posed an interesting dilemma for the traveller as to how much do you need to or indeed want to understand the culture and people of the country you’re travelling to. Or indeed how possible is it to get a decent feel for it, given that your interaction with them may change or determine their behaviour.

Highly recommended.

Essex UK

Also reading “The Star Rover” by Jack London (this is the same Jack London that wrote “The Call of the Wild " in 1903 , and other works set about the Klondike Gold Rush two centuries ago. What isn’t as widely known is that Jack London was one of the forefathers of the new genre of Science fiction, with this novel appearing in 1915. The plot concerns a man sentenced to death in San Quentin for murder yet described as an experience to relish as he is consciously aware of having lived other past lives and revisits previous incarnations as the chapters lead him closer to the gallows, hence the title “The Star Rover”. The novel form makes the book a collection of short stories formed into a novel.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

New NEXUS magazine just out, features on 5G & 6G (yes it’s headlines now), longevity and gut biome, anti-gravity breakthroughs, peace in space treaty, iodine and breast cancer, the behaviour control parasite, Ufology in China, spontaneous human combustion and Wikileaks – main ones listed.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 01 Jun 17:57
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Started of my poolside reading with an easy read by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro. 15th Affair (Women’s Murder Club #15).

Another twisting & turning novel in this engaging series.

Synopsis by Goodreads:
Detective Lindsay Boxer has everything she could possibly want. Her marriage and baby daughter are perfect, and life in Homicide in the San Francisco Police Department is going well. But all that could change in an instant.

Lindsay is called to a crime scene at the Four Seasons Hotel. There is a dead man in one of the rooms, shot at close range. The man checked in under a false name with no ID on him, so the first puzzle will be finding out who he is.

In the room next door are a dead young man and woman, also shot. They are surrounded by high-tech surveillance equipment. Could they have been spying on the man now dead in the room next to them?

And in the utilities cupboard down the hall is the dead body of a house maid. The murders are all clearly linked and professionally executed. But what is the motive behind it all? Lindsay will need to risk everything she has to find out.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25613617-15th-affair?ac=1&from_search=true

Essex UK

Currently reading the Shipping News by Annie Proulx. Seems to have mixed reviews but I am enjoying it so far.

A change from my usual genre, I have just finished ‘Tribute’ by Nora Roberts, about a
failed actress, granddaughter of a famous actress, starting a new phase in her life by
renovating her grandmother’s farmhouse retreat. But someone is frightened of her
uncovering family secrets and takes drastic measures. Entertaining characters, good
plot, and fabulous flowing dialogue.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Dawn French: According to YES.
As it says on the cover….Funny, poignant and bursting with joie de vivre.
The main protagonist, Rosie Kitto, is SO reminiscent of her creator.
A really good read.

Gullane
736 Posts
Sign in to add your message