Welcome to our forums.

What are you reading ?

Guess what. New NEXUS magazine just out, informative and revelatory as ever: Afterlife, electropollution, Hopi history, Crop Circles, acid & alkaline foods:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 16 Oct 20:31

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I do get cross with some authors who leave a cliffhanger ending – a presumption of arrogance that you must read their next book to ‘get closure’!

Agreed…And, as another Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan….I confess to feeling totally clueless as to how our hero survived the end of 61 Hours
Gullane

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
08:50 15-Oct-19

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

The Hard Way

Is the 10th Reacher book

There’s quite a useful site called Book Series in Order, which (you’re going to be shocked by this) lists book series in order

Here’s a link to the Reacher series

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/jack-reacher/

Thanks for that, Steve – sometimes it is important to get them the right way round. Although I do get cross with some authors who leave a cliffhanger ending – a presumption of arrogance that you must read their next book to ‘get closure’!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

The Hard Way

Is the 10th Reacher book

There’s quite a useful site called Book Series in Order, which (you’re going to be shocked by this) lists book series in order

Here’s a link to the Reacher series

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/jack-reacher/

Essex UK

applegroupie wrote:

applegroupie
17:43 13-Oct-19

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Just started reading another Lee Child Reacher book – The Hard Way

Is this his latest book?

Probably not, @applegroupie, as I get most of my books at our local charity shop. But as always, it is
very interesting and entertaining. Will now look out for ‘No Middle Name’ – thanks for the information.

Due to family commitments I have not read any novels for at least a couple of months. Now back in reading mode and picked up these two from the library:

“No Middle Name” by Lee Child is a collection of 12 short stories and a mini bio of Jack Reacher. It goes as far back as when he was 13 years old living with his family on an army base in the South Pacific. It also introduces his father, French mother and his older brother.

“Fatal Inheritance” by Rachel Rhys is set in post-war French Riviera. The central character is Eve, a young English woman in a loveless marriage who receives a surprise bequest from an unknown stranger in France. The book is a bit slow and only the description of the beautiful coastal Riviera kept me interested. It picks up by page 305, (there are only 384 pages) when Eve finally finds out the truth behind the bequest.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Just started reading another Lee Child Reacher book – The Hard Way

Is this his latest book?

Just started ‘A Cold Heart’ by Jonathan Kellerman – one of my favourite authors – featuring the
psychologist Alex Delaware and detective Milo Sturgis – both well-rounded characters – working
to find a serial killer.

Interesting story of the comic books that became a billion dollar franchise

“Marvel Comics at 80: From bankruptcy threat to billions at the box office”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49865896

Essex UK

I’ve reviewed several non fiction books which explore the impact of the internet on this thread, this one is by far the scariest I’ve come across.
“Exposed ~ Desire & Disobedience in the Digital Age” (non fiction) by Bernard E. Harcourt exposes the troubling implications of pervasive surveillance on each and every one of us who use the internet day by day. Harcourt submits that the internet has even leapfrogged Orwell’s “1984” in one simple difference. In Orwell’s novel, personal pleasures are virtually outlawed, prohibited or forbidden in the interests of the state. The world wide web we all access today, however, elicits, encourages and homes in on all our preferences, desires, beliefs, hopes, fears, fetishes and fantasies, whatever they may be, to draw us further into the web, and in doing so is building an invisible profile of each and every one of us, from the goods we buy and the frequencies we do it, the books we read, the films we watch, the places we go , the people we know, the food we like, the thoughts and feelings we have, all the time fine tuning a cyber profile which is more recognisable to the algorithm than our own reflection in the mirror is to ourselves, which is as indelible as it is irretrievable. Your every keystroke, every mouse click, every net search, via Amazon, You Tube, Facebook, even Silver Travel Advisor volunteering up facets of your entire identity for free on a daily basis, in your every discourse, and all recorded, whether you know it or not, which would be the envy of any KGB or CIA dossier.

Such is the fine tuning, there are now even algorithms which can identify a user by their unique rhythmical input on the keyboard to the millisecond which can monitor levels of excitability or interest. Predictive algorithms can with increasingly alarming accuracy, predict which book/film/consumer product you are going to buy next. Harcourt warns of our new screenage world endangering both our civil liberties and our very identities, sacrificing, as we have, that myth we once knew as privacy.

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 09 Oct 15:50
780 Posts
Sign in to add your message