Welcome to our forums.

Cloud Gazing

The picture reminded me of the cartoon character ‘Precious Pup’. Yeh, Yeh, Yeh

London

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I suppose you could make the same argument for looking into the flames of a coal fire.

Exactly Gill & extend it to rocks (where people often see faces or animal shapes. Pretty much anything you look at really.

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
07:21 12-Aug-19

Interesting short video explaining why we see things in the clouds:

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/why-we-see-faces-in-clouds/p07jsv05?playlist=made-in-partnership-with-the-open-university

Enjoyed that, Steve – I suppose you could make the same argument for looking into the flames of a coal fire.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

@coolonespa wrote:

Interesting short video explaining why we see things in the clouds:

Fascinating video.

Scotland
Essex UK

lovely photo barrowman ~ but more photoshopped than dog-bear methinks.

London

Those last couple of photos are great David & thanks for the interesting facts GW.

I think the last one is Winnie the Pooh.

Essex UK

Defnitely a very furry dog lying on his back – and anticipating a tummy rub, by his big grin!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Marvellous photos and now for a short interesting cloud facts intermission:

The International Cloud Atlas was published in 1896 as a result of the International Meteorological Conference establishing a Cloud Committee.
The ten cloud types were based on the work of English chemist Luke Howard (1772-1864 )in his essay Modification of clouds in 1802.

His work inspired the paintings of John Constable, JMW Turner, Caspar David Friedrich and Goethe wrote 4 poems in Howard’s honour. According to the International Cloud Atlas scale Cloud 0 is the highest known cloud known as cirrus with its wispy streaks that can be as high as 12,000 metres. Cloud Nine is the cumulonimbus which may cover a few hundred feet or reach the very edge of the stratosphere
(15,000 metres) . Most clouds consist of water droplets around smaller particles like salt or smoke except Cirrus clouds which are made entirely of ice, often triggered by jet condensation trails. and help regulate the Earth’s atmosphere.

When air traffic was suspended following the 9/11 disaster in 2001, temperature increased by 3 degrees centigrade across USA as the cirrus protection shrank letting more heat out at night and more in by day.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

How about this taken from a friends facebook page…any idea what it might be…..

Bedford
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message