Welcome to our forums.

Is cruising an Old Person's holiday?

I have to admit that Celebrity is my favourite cruise line and has been for a number of years. My favourite is the smallest and oldest, Celebrity Century. They say that surprises come in small packages and Century is the best example there is of that. http://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/Revi … ductReview

Last Edited by unknown at 12 Nov 17:21
London
Just returned today from a cruise to the Baltics on Celebrity Eclipse. The ages ranged from babes in arms to those who have been retired for many years!

My daughter aged 24 and her boyfriend travelled with us. They have now cruised several times. They find the cost cheaper than a holiday in the UK or taking a package holiday abroad. They have visited some amazing places and love the activities available on board. They won a pen in a quiz and a bronze medal in an Olympics game!

I wish I had convinced my husband to cruise years ago. As for dressing up, I don’t do long dresses but wear black trousers and sparkly tops or dresses with jacket, wrap etc.

Hello Sue, welcome home, i hope your cruise was as enjoyable as ours.

I took a couple of photo’s of the Eclipse when you were sailing out behind us on the Solent, you may remember we were on the Azura . When i get my PC sorted out i will post them just in case you want to keep one of them for the album……..

That would be super!

I hope you enjoyed Azura! I spend 16 nights on her 2 years ago so know her well! Having tried Celebrity I do feel P&O need to up their game and can understand why Celebrity is becoming popular with the Brits!!

Last Edited by unknown at 12 Nov 17:16
Kent
Hi Mungo.
Welcome home and I hope you had a fabulous time. Saw the Eclipse today at Southampton. I was on a press visit to Oriana moored behind you.

Oriana is my favourite ship and looked at her longingly yesterday!

Celebrity are definitely a notch up from P&O in many many. Certain little touches that they have right…… A glass of champagne when you first board. Cold flannels and drinks waiting for you before you board after a long day sightseeing. Blankets ready available on deck for cooler days. …….. I was certainly impressed.

Kent
Just returned today from a cruise to the Baltics on Celebrity Eclipse. The ages ranged from babes in arms to those who have been retired for many years!

My daughter aged 24 and her boyfriend travelled with us. They have now cruised several times. They find the cost cheaper than a holiday in the UK or taking a package holiday abroad. They have visited some amazing places and love the activities available on board. They won a pen in a quiz and a bronze medal in an Olympics game!

I wish I had convinced my husband to cruise years ago. As for dressing up, I don’t do long dresses but wear black trousers and sparkly tops or dresses with jacket, wrap etc.

Hello Sue, welcome home, i hope your cruise was as enjoyable as ours.

I took a couple of photo’s of the Eclipse when you were sailing out behind us on the Solent, you may remember we were on the Azura . When i get my PC sorted out i will post them just in case you want to keep one of them for the album……..

Bedford

Hi Mungo.
Welcome home and I hope you had a fabulous time. Saw the Eclipse today at Southampton. I was on a press visit to Oriana moored behind you.

London

Kent

There’s a cruise ship for everyone…..if you don’t want to dress up, then you go with Norwegian Cruise lines, Azamara, Louis, or the large P&O Ventura; I hear that not many dress up on Costa or MSC, and you can miss the dressy night on Thomson and eat in the buffet instead.
Other P&O, and Cunard ships are more dressy, and the passengers aren’t happy if you break the code. I’m happy with Ventura, NCL, Thomson and Louis, but we still enjoy a bit of dressing up for special occasions, such as a wedding anniversary meal in Marco Pierre White’s, on Ventura.
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
its a one off cost, full board – eat all day long if you so desire, entertainment for all ages all day and all evening.

So, basically it is a resort holiday but on a boat?

This depends on the ship you are on. Allure of the Seas and Oasis of the Seas are certainly floating resorts irrespective of where you go on them. Other ships can be a resort but it depends on the type of cruise you are doing on them and what you expect from them. Our cruises this year except one have been destination orientated so the ship itself was fairly unimportant. I think it is true of most "port hopping" cruises, where you are in a different place every day, that the itinerary is more important. To me the ship only becomes a resort when I do a transatlantic or similar and have 5-9 days at sea continuous. Our next cruise which is 17 days has several periods of 2-3 days at sea so the ship itself will become a fairly important feature as there is nothing worse than being bored. Some people like the idea of long periods at sea, doing nothing but watching the ocean flow by whilst others want to be on the go all the time. Personally I have to admit sitting on your balcony with a G&T watching the sun sink into the west does have some advantages and some happy memories for me.

London
Are there any Adult only ships?

Yes there are are. As Barrowman has already pointed out there are 3 P&O ships namely, Adonia, Arcadia and Oriana. Marco Polo is adults only as are the Saga ships Ruby, Sapphire and Pearl 2, Noble Caledonia and several others. Thomson this year are doing some adult only cruises on the Thomson Celebration. Although not adult only other choices would be Radisson, Silvesea, Seabourn, Crystal, as the chances of getting children on board is remote. Hope this helps.

Last Edited by unknown at 12 Nov 16:17
London

Makes you think they should design a cheap and cheerful common people cruise liner with its own chippy, pub, singalong, dominoes, bingo, footie and fighting.

Oh they have…it’s called P&O goes between Calais/Dover every hour.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message