Welcome to our forums.

Hurtigruten to the Northern Lights

coolonespa wrote:

That will same you al small fortune then.

I was never a wine drinker so have not missed it. However, I do miss my Bacardi and coke. The money saved has all gone to a good cause, another cruise!

When we booked our cruise I didn’t realise that Hurtigruten offers 3 fare options. I have since sent for one of their brochures and realised that we are on their Basic package which does not include complimentary tea and coffee or Wi-Fi. However, not sure how good the wi-fi connection would be in the extreme north. I have contacted my cruise agent to enquire as to the possibility of upgrading to the next level and at what cost.

I usually do my homework before I book anything but this was a very last minute booking so did not have the time to be thorough. Another lesson learnt for me, do not do things in haste!

@applegroupie wrote:

Due to medical reasons we no longer drink alcohol

That will same you al small fortune then. I know they had machines for Tea & coffee at breakfast but don’t ever recall it being offered at lunch or dinner. We had tea/coffee making facilities in our cabin (we went for the suite upgrade because we like a bottle of wine with dinner) but I’m not sure if all the cabins had these facilities. Best to check direct with Hurtigruten as they were doing some upgrades whilst we were on board.

Essex UK

Many thanks to @coolonespa and @Fossil for your very informative reviews. Thanks to @Albatrail for all the useful tips. We are booked on the 12 day round trip.

A few years ago we did the fjords in June on the Queen Elizabeth and for nearly 6 days we had 24 hours daylight and now we are doing the reverse.

@coolonespa Due to medical reasons we no longer drink alcohol. Can you remember if teas and coffees are included with meals, if you are not on a package, or are they chargeable?

I almost forgot- a few 10 NOK coins for the toilets ashore ! -unless, of course, you’re in a restaurant or cafe, then you ask for the code for the toilet door if it is locked.

Scotland

A decent pair of waterproof walking boots with pull on spikes for the ice will make life a whole lot easier when walking in the snow or on ice
Put your layers on before going out in the cold (Brits have a habit of walking out the door putting their coats on) its much more comfortable to trap that warm air before going outside.
Drinks on board are very expensive. If you like to have a bottle of wine with dinner each night, its sometimes worth looking at upgrading to a suite which comes with a complimentary bottle of wine per couple each night. I seem to recall that the cheapest bottle of wine was about £45 so x12 on the classic journey which means that if you can get an upgrade for £540 you get the best of both worlds.
@Albatrail wrote:

have your warm clothes ready in your cabin overnight, you don’t want to be searching for them if you get a ‘Lights’ call.

Good tip. Even take a few seconds to place them in the order you put them on, then when you’re putting them on half asleep, your brain has the minimum to do

@Fossil wrote:

Don’t forget to keep your phone in your pocket when ever possible as the extreme cold shortens battery life considerably.

Good tip Alan & great photos.

Also add the spare camera battery Albatrail mentioned to a pocket that will benefit from you body heat.

Essex UK

I travelled with Hurtigruten on the Richard With in mid winter and it was fantastic. Certainly in the top 5 of all my cruises. Don’t forget to keep your phone in your pocket when ever possible as the extreme cold shortens battery life considerably.

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/review/cruise/147462-review-ms-richard-with

London

Trollfjord is one of the larger ships, I’ve seen her but not been on board.

My general tips would be:

• take layers of clothing, the outer layer should be wind and waterproof, including hat, scarf and gloves. It’s worth taking spare gloves to give them a chance to dry.
  • sunglasses are essential because the light can be bright when reflected off the snow and ice. The frames should be plastic so they don’t freeze your face.
  • take extra batteries for your camera- they won’t last nearly so long in the cold temperatures.
  • have your warm clothes ready in your cabin overnight, you don’t want to be searching for them if you get a ‘Lights’ call.

I enjoy chatting to the Norwegian passengers on the Hurtigruten ships, they may be students travelling to/from college or may even belong to a group attending a conference on the ship. Don’t expect ‘entertainment’ although there may be a singer or pianist so knitting or a book to read is useful. The scenery is fantastic, particularly during winter and the observation lounge is the place to be if it’s too cold to be on deck.

Are you on a round trip?

Scotland

I was on the Trollfjord last winter, so you may find my article of use:

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-hurtigruten-blog/norwegian-coastal-coyage-with-hurtigruten

Essex UK

Has anyone cruised on any of the Hurtigruten ships?

We are booked on one of their cruises to see the Northern Lights next month and would appreciate any insight as to what to expect onboard and any other tips, advice, do’s and don’ts would also be very welcomed. We will be on the Trollfjord.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message