Welcome to our forums.

How Safe is Jamaica and Mexico?

applegroupie wrote:

Many thanks @coolonespa and @Solent_Richard for your sound advice.

My pleasure.

I hope you found the rest useful as well.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 08 Jan 09:05

@applegroupie wrote:

sailing in February

Not long to go now. Hope you have a great time.

Essex UK

Many thanks @coolonespa and @Solent_Richard for your sound advice.

applegroupie wrote:

We have booked a Caribbean cruise sailing in February. One of the ports on the itinerary is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. One of my friends said that Ocho Rios is notorious for cruise ship passenger muggings.

Anyone been to Ocho Rios recently and can give me some safety advice would be much appreciated.

Likewise with Cozumel and Costa Maya in Mexico, another two ports on our itinerary.

Presumably it would be safer to book excursions with the cruise ship for these ports instead of going ashore on our own.

Never experienced any problems in any of the places mentioned. We have been to Cozomel three times in the last 21 months: indeed we were there this time last year on Carnival Dream, and it is a great place to walk or take a tour…

Costa maya is a really fabulous stop to get to see Mayan Temples. Best advice is to book a ship’s excursion because there is little likelihood of grabbing a taxi outside the terminal gate. We were there on Oceania Riviera…

…and their excursions were top draw…

I’d be happy to send you a few links of our visits.

I think Steve @coolonespa has covered all the advice I would have suggested.
Don’t worry, but take care, and you’ll have a wonderful time!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I was in Ocho Rios last year and never had an issue but like most of the Caribbean islands its best not to go wandering off on your own unless you know where you are going/what you are doing. All to easy to stray into an undesirable or unsafe area.

A ship excursion is undoubtedly your safest bet, followed by an organised trip with a reputable company. I’ve been to Jamaica many times over the past 10 years and have a niece who lives out there. We’ve travelled quite widely in Jamaica but have had the benefit of family with local knowledge.

The overwhelming majority of tourist visits to the island go without incident but use the normal common sense precautions and you’ll be fine. Gov.uk have some advice including…."you should take steps to protect yourself and your belongings. Be vigilant at all times, even if you’re staying with friends and family. Don’t walk alone in isolated areas or on deserted beaches, even during the day. Take particular care when withdrawing money from ATMs. Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. "

We’ll be back there again next year (Jamaica but not Ocho), so I hope you have a wonderful time.

Essex UK

We have booked a Caribbean cruise sailing in February. One of the ports on the itinerary is Ocho Rios, Jamaica. One of my friends said that Ocho Rios is notorious for cruise ship passenger muggings.

Anyone been to Ocho Rios recently and can give me some safety advice would be much appreciated.

Likewise with Cozumel and Costa Maya in Mexico, another two ports on our itinerary.

Presumably it would be safer to book excursions with the cruise ship for these ports instead of going ashore on our own.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message