Welcome to our forums.

Home insurance travelling more than 60 days

The only way to get anything changed is to leave them & tell them that’s why you are leaving.

Essex UK

They all have their weird and wonderful ‘rules’ and mix and match them to suit the occasion!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I’m going to resurrect this old thread and rant.

My home insurance is with M&S underwritten by Aviva or Axa I forget which.

Their definition of ‘unoccupied’ is that YOU have to be living there. If you have a housesitter (who could actually be in the house more than you), it doesn’t count. The person there has to have it as their main residence.

There is no logic to this. Thank you and rant over.

At one point many policies were 30 days, so 60 is an improvement. It could be that its down to interpretation of the policy wording e.g. MoreThan say


When your home has not been lived in by your family or by anyone who has your permission, for more than 60 days in a row. Lived in means slept in frequently."

So it would seem that Jo’s solution would cover this off. The only way to be 100% sure is to check with your specific insurance company.

The other option may be to use a broker to find an insurance company that will cover your property unoccupied.

Let us know how you get on please.

Essex UK

I have a wonderful friend who sleeps in my house for a couple of nights if I’m away for more than 30 days. We hope that will be enough to keep the insurance company happy!

Will be visiting holiday home and leaving UK home unoccupied more than 60 days. This seems to invalidate most home insurance, but lots of people with holiday homes must need it. are there any good solutions?

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top