Welcome to our forums.

Having the courage to go solo

You’ll have a great time.

And regarding the fear of the taxi not turning up – I always have a plan B, but have rarely had to use it. I’ve found it reassuring to know that if, for instance, the taxi fails to appear by such-a-time, I’m go (phone them, drive myself and bill them for parking, phone a friend who’ll understand and drive me …)

And then come back and tell us all about it.

I hope you have a fantastic time @Luna and look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

Essex UK

hi luna, I hope you have a fantastic time – Iim sure you will. my one piece of advice, for what it’s worth: if you experience a moment of doubt as you set out, know that that’s what it is, a moment, nothing more ,and in truth a fitting start to a wonderful adventure.
happy travels

Good luck and really enjoy yourself. We’ll look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Well, my first single holiday is less than two weeks away. I have read all your excellent advise and it has been such a long time since I have been away I am just really looking forward to it. The only real worry I have is the taxi failing to turn up at the early hour I leave. I have reduced the clothes I take yo just a little over the minimum, as I will never manage a bigger case. I will let you know how I get on.

Sutton coldfield

@Luna – good for you! Enjoy it.

Bit gloomy in our locale this morning isn’t it? Wish I was somewhere warm and sunny……

@Luna – you’ll be fine. Take plenty to read (in whatever format works for you) so you can always bury yourself in a book if there’s no one around worth talking to! Enjoy!!

I too am going solo, in about 8 weeks time, must say I am looking forward to it but equally hoping I don’t feel lonely. You inspire me with your comments and have mastered it so I am sure I can.

Sutton coldfield

@Venus – welcome and glad to see your safety is your first priority.

I did my first solo long-haul flights last year. I chose an aisle seat on both flights because you will more than likely be sitting next to a stranger. I also engage with the cabin crew; the outbound staff found it funny that I was a “Virgin virgin”.

The older members of my family thought I was mad, the younger ones weren’t so bothered, just jealous!

Welcome, Venus. And a woman after my own heart! I gave up work in my mid-50s, sold my car, bought a rucksack, abandoned (adult) children and went round the world for a year. Now I trot off every winter – there’s a wonderful world to explore!

37 Posts
Sign in to add your message