The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Free Wildlower Seeds for Bees !

thanks for the reminder to sow mine. also, thanks for interesting info re germination @esw

They are finding that problem in Iceland where the North American lupin was introduced and is now spreading rapidly. It does look very pretty but it is wiping out the indigenous plant population. Attempts to eradicate it is taking a long time as even though plants are pulled out or destroyed by weed killers, seeds in the soil keep germinating.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Good table Eleanor , interesting fact did you know that in 1959 North American Arctic Lupin Seeds were discovered that were some 10,000 years old. They were planted and grew successfully.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

It depends what the seeds are. Viability varies a lot as can be seen in this table.

Poppy seeds are supposed to remain vialble for over 100 years. 10-15 years ago I was given some Verbascum seedlings. They produced very pretty plants but I discovered they self set everywhere. They were all pulled out as were those in neighbouring gardens. The seeds still keep germinating and still get pulled out….

ESW
Lincolnshire

Bear in mind, with most seeds you can’t keep them forever, they have around a 2 year shelf life before they won’t germinate at all.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I still have a packet from last years offering. Last years appear to have self-seeded well so I probably wont be using them this year. I’ll keep them for next year when I might have a bit more space for planting….

Bedford

Thanks Grey-Wolf – these will be great for the community garden which our residents association have.
Helen

.38 degrees website offering packets of free wild flower seeds ( no P&P to pay) enough to cover 4 square metres of garden, pots, tubs, windowboxes etc. to help out this year’s bumble bees. To get yours simply give your postal details on the link below:

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/surveys/418
Wakefield, West Yorks.
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message