Welcome to our forums.

Free packets of wild flower seeds

hi everyone. i just saw this thread ~ have requested my seed packets ~ and can’t wait to see how the seeds fare next spring. not having seen the instructions yet, i’m thinking of choosing a variety of areas to grow them, although i notice that the local park had best success in a wide-open space.

London

A bit of a disappointment then GW, it will be interesting to see if any have seeded the ground for a showing next year, but I’m not keeping my hopes up – I still have one packet left so I’ll plant them in a different place next year and see if they produce anything better….

Bedford

Ditto.As for the seeds I think the birds dug in and ate mine (voracious city sparrows).

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Well its November and I guess all the wild flower seeds have germinated, grown and flowered by now – if they haven’t they must still be in the packets waiting for next year.

So how did yours get on? I have to say mine were a disappointment, very tall lots of leaf but very small and poor flowers.

And what about the bee box – nothing in mine, did those of you that used theirs get anything?

Bedford

Grey Wolf top tip : packet says scatter seeds don’t bury. Well if you do that, all you’re doing is providing instant bird seed, they’ll be gone in seconds. My ‘sleeping scarecrow’ idea incorporates criss cross mesh of string over planted area to keep the birds off plus a fine tilth (0.25cm) covering. Better still , though this is cheating, start them off indoors or in greenhouse in trays or egg boxes and plant out when germinated.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

……agree, there’s a good selection there.

I’ve been out planting mine today – two large tubs and one patch of garden so far. Still have three packets left so if it’s nice tomorrow I will be out again. Planting is easy, it’s getting the soil right that takes the time….

Last Edited by unknown at 04 Sep 00:03
Bedford
Hurrah! my seeds have arrived!

…and don’t you get a lot ? My packets say:

Corn Chamomile
Corn Marigold
Corn Poppy
Cornflower
Hedge Bedstraw
Lady’s Bedstraw
Lesser Knapweed
Meadow Buttercup
Meadowsweet
Oxeye Daisy
Red Campion
Ribwort Plantain

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Hurrah! my seeds have arrived!

Last Edited by unknown at 04 Sep 00:16

…..and mine arrived yesterday morning, looks like it’s a weekend job. According to the instructions it’s only going to take five minutes per packet, but I need to clear a few weeds first.

With a bit of luck we will have some photo’s later in the year to add to this thread….

Bedford

Mine arrived this morning Eleanor so thanks for the tip off !! Five packets of wildflower seeds, a two-for-one ticket for Kew Gardens and a do it yourself bee house !

Last Edited by unknown at 03 Sep 23:01
Wakefield, West Yorks.
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message