Welcome to our forums.

Forsythia ~ Decorative shrub or Malicious weed?

Thanks David.

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

Forsythia tree
A question for my own knowledge. Is this the time you normally prune your Forsythia & does it flower Ok the following Spring? I ask because I thought you needed to do it immediately after the flowers died off, otherwise it wouldn’t flower well the following year?

No Steve, Jo is correct in her post, I was only hard pruning the top of the tree, it was so high I couldn’t get around it to prune my conifers back. So pruning after flowering is the right time….

Bedford

Sadly I need to give this one a serious cutting back, so I might have a lean year next year.

Essex UK

I have a Forsythia in one corner of my garden, I pruned it back heavily the year before last and had very few flowers last year, this year it looks absolutely splendid again and much healthier as well.

Bedfordshire

Thanks Jo, although I have to admit, apart from the pruning it pretty much looks after itself.

Essex UK

What a lovely picture! You can feel very proud of yourself, Steve.

Back into its normal time slot, my Forsythia is ablaze with yellow this year. Thanks for the pruning tips:

Essex UK

I haven’t seen any ladybirds yet.

ESW
Lincolnshire
Yes very early & Its really all quite weird. As well as the bees & ladybirds I mentioned in the Spring thread, I saw a Red Admiral yesterday & I have a geranium in flower.

Red Admirals and Ladybirds here too.

Last Edited by unknown at 10 Feb 09:02
Wakefield, West Yorks.

We’ve still got a rose hanging on from last year.

Last Edited by unknown at 10 Feb 09:03
ESW
Lincolnshire
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message