Welcome to our forums.

Feeding ducks bread: Should you do it?

coolonespa wrote:

its a bit of a shame that the RSPB didn’t make its voice heard earlier if it turns out to be an urban myth.

Perhaps up until now there was no need for them to have become involved, who knows.

London

iwent wrote:

even experts will have differing opinions.

We have no chance then if the experts can’t agree. Carry on feeding seems to be the message for me.

Essex UK

Not necessarily urban myth. Perhaps new information. I think probably different views applicable in different circumstances. The one you found in your OP really looks to me like an emotional response to a specific circumstance, rather than a considered opinion based on the spectrum of the situation. And even experts will have differing opinions.

The whole “feeding bread to birds/ducks” thing has been about for years, so its a bit of a shame that the RSPB didn’t make its voice heard earlier if it turns out to be an urban myth.

Essex UK

It’s a horrible thought that swans might be dying of starvation just because we’ve taught them not to look for proper swan food.
My personal thought is that it’s more likely to be malnutrition, because white bread (stale or otherwise) has no nutritional value beyond the calories. So no nutrients to allow the swan or duck to live healthily.
Meanwhile the water pollution caused by the excess of bread rotting away is likely to inhibit the growth of weeds and other more natural and more nutritious foods for these birds to find and eat.
But then, I’m not an expert.

I’m more interested in restaurants feeding duck to me !!

Wakefield, West Yorks.

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
07:13 21-Oct-19

Is it OK to feed ducks bread? I feel this has been around for a while but here’s the latests including advice from the RSPB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50087990

Maybe the answer is that a visit to the pond is family-oriented, where the kids can chuck their
bread and the adults feed something a little healthier.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Is it OK to feed ducks bread? I feel this has been around for a while but here’s the latests including advice from the RSPB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50087990

Essex UK
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message