The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance”

~ Plato

(in his opinion)

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 11 Sep 22:32
Wakefield, West Yorks.

A couple of points worth mentioning.

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s views are exactly what the OP said. That are his views and he is entitled to express them just as others are to have theirs on this or any other subject.

The fact that he has been honest about his religious beliefs seems to have grated with a few who in all probability jumped on the bandwagon because he happens to be a Conservative politician. Even more to his credit he has kept his composure despite the storm of faux outrage.

Meanwhile nowhere in his interview did we see or hear him wishing to ‘force’ his views on anyone so that would appear to discount the ‘Hitler’ theory.

The fact remains he is a devout practising Catholic and has clearly stood by the Catholic Church’s teachings.

So it was interesting to note a ‘spanish’ view of agreement with a comment vilifying Jacob. This when in Spain, where the Catholic Church is the majority religion, there is a moral absolute on abortion: that it is wrong as life begins at conception.

Personally I have no strong views on the subject of abortion at any level and am not a Catholic. I have great sympathy for the victims of this despicable sexual crime but can equally understand the Catholic logic regarding the ‘taking a child’s life’ hardly makes the situation better.

Oh, and I do love a debate.

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
15:39 08-Sep-17

Personally on the subject of abortion I cannot agree with Rees-Mogg as on one aspect alone his belief falls down and that is where the life of the mother is in danger. If as he said ‘Life is Sacrosanct’ then you would have to abort or risk losing 2 lives. Don’t think he thought of that one which is where people with an ‘Unmoveable’ views and opinions come unstuck every time.

Absolutely right, @Fossil Hitler also stood up for his ‘beliefs and principles………………………….’! Also people in government always try and foist theirs upon other people.

Last Edited by Cruzeroqueen1 at 09 Sep 15:59
Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Personally on the subject of abortion I cannot agree with Rees-Mogg as on one aspect alone his belief falls down and that is where the life of the mother is in danger. If as he said ‘Life is Sacrosanct’ then you would have to abort or risk losing 2 lives. Don’t think he thought of that one which is where people with an ‘Unmoveable’ views and opinions come unstuck every time.

London

JoCarroll wrote:

JoCarroll
09:39 08-Sep-17

I see where you’re coming from.

But there are opinions which – in our society – are abhorrent, such as racism, homophobia. incitement to violence – and I think belittling violence towards women, which Rees-Mogg effectively does, verges on the unacceptable. (And you will probably say he doesn’t belittle violence towards women, but reducing the choices they have after rape is hugely disempowering at a time when they are at their most vulnerable).

Again, @JoCarroll I wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Very easy for me to lay my cards on the table here: I’m a fan of Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Like him I too am a man who sticks by his principles.

Of course I would deal love to see him lead the Conservative party but, being a pragmatist, I can’t see it happening.

He is one clever chap and remains so calm under both pressure and provocation. I thought is response to Piers Morgan was a classic: JRM certainly put one over him.

The other delight was to see JRM voted yesterday onto the Parliamentary Brexit Select Committee at the expense of the embarrassing Anna Soubry.

A great title to the thread @Hunter and one I fully endorse. We all have different opinions based on upbringing, political and religious beliefs but probably most of all by our own personal experiences in life.
As a friend said to me many years ago “I may not agree with your views, but I will fight for your right to express them”.

London

I see where you’re coming from.

But there are opinions which – in our society – are abhorrent, such as racism, homophobia. incitement to violence – and I think belittling violence towards women, which Rees-Mogg effectively does, verges on the unacceptable. (And you will probably say he doesn’t belittle violence towards women, but reducing the choices they have after rape is hugely disempowering at a time when they are at their most vulnerable).

“Odds on Jacob Rees-Mogg becoming the UK’s next Prime Minister have been lengthened after the Tory MP aired his views on gay marriage and abortion on breakfast TV”.
Nice to hear someone stand up for his personal views and principals and at the same time accepting that each individual has a right to their own choices.
What are your thoughts?

Chichester
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message