Welcome to our forums.

European River Cruises

Welcome @sjde to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

Essex UK

I have been on AMA Waterways with my sister who is a travel agent (3 times) and on GCT (Grand Circle ) with my husband twice. Danube, Rhine and Rhone rivers. For the cost difference I’d say GCT. It’s about 1/3 the cost. I didn’t see measurable differences. Most itineraries do only have twin beds though. We are going to be trying a newer company soon-Teeming-that is also very reasonably priced. You do have to pay for your alcohol it’s not included and they don’t include excursions.

Hello @margf

I see you are awaiting your Emerald brochure. Emerald have several advantages over other river cruise lines and it all has to do with their ships. Many river ships just have cabin picture windows whilst others advertise balconies which are ‘Juliette’ or ‘French’ balconies, in other words they are not large enough to sit on. Emerald and their sister company Scenic have a system of balconies that when not in use become an area that enhances the size of the cabin and when in use have electrically operated glass panels that turn the area into a real balcony that you can sit on and enjoy the view as you glide gracefully along. Another advantage is the swimming pool is at the rear of the ship and covered with a sliding roof enabling passengers to use it in all weathers. in the evening an electronic floor slides across the pool so the area can be used as a cinema.
The choice is yours, but choose carefully as they all cost a lot of money and you want to get best value.

London

margf wrote:

Good Morning @Solent_Richard, @coolonespa

Thanks for your replies, apologies for not reply earlier I have been away.

I am un-decided on which river and currently awaiting brochures from Emerald as I do like the South of France and they do a 10 day Nice and Lyon to Provence but am open to other rivers.

The river cruise for me is more for the river cruise experience, as I have visited many of the places in Europe they cover.

Marg

Good morning Marg.

Yes, that looks a very good itinerary and I see it has a 2 day extension additional to the week on the river.

We did roughly the same itinerary with Viking entitled ‘Portraits of Southern France’ and had an exceptional time: particularly in Lyon and Avignon…

I’d certainly check out a couple of similar companies unless you are specifically interested in the extension.

Good Morning @Solent_Richard, @coolonespa

Thanks for your replies, apologies for not reply earlier I have been away.

I am un-decided on which river and currently awaiting brochures from Emerald as I do like the South of France and they do a 10 day Nice and Lyon to Provence but am open to other rivers.

The river cruise for me is more for the river cruise experience, as I have visited many of the places in Europe they cover.

Marg

margf wrote:

I have been exploring the idea of taking a European river cruise, has anyone had had experience of the operators and could give any tips or advise please

Hello @margf are you still interested?

margf wrote:

I have been exploring the idea of taking a European river cruise, has anyone had had experience of the operators and could give any tips or advise please

Good morning Margf.

I have now clocked up 6 European river cruises with both Viking River Cruises ( Douro, Rhine, Danube, Rhone and Elbe with the Seine featuring later this year) and Scenic River Cruises (Bordeaux and the Gironde)

Do you have a particular European river in mind?

Each river offers a diverse experience and I’d be delighted to offer you any advice I can if you could indicate your preferences.

Welcome @margf to our Silver Travel Forum – we hope that you enjoy being part of our friendly group of Silver Travellers. Please feel free to contact one of the moderators if you have any queries about using the Forum.

I’ve been on 2 river cruises and you can read about them on detail by following the links below:

Avalon:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-river-cruising/avalon-waterways-magnificent-europe-part-1

Viking:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-viking-river-and-ocean-cruises-blog/waterways-of-the-tsars-chapter-1-the-ship-and-the-stroganoff

Both were excellent & I’d highly recommend either company.

We have many features on the site that cover river cruising, you can see some via this link:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/category/cruise-river-cruising

There are also many threads on this Forum that discuss river cruising, this one being an example:
https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/forums/travel-type/3371-why-is-river-cruising-so-appealing?page=1

Hope that helps

Steve

Essex UK

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message