The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Drone Technology

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
21:06 07-Jan-20

When you mention children’s play area it conjures up some horrible thoughts of what the operator might be up to

My thoughts as well, Alan – you can’t be too careful these days.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

When you mention children’s play area it conjures up some horrible thoughts of what the operator might be up to.

London

Most amateur drone users seems to be ignorant of – or indifferent to – existing regulations, which prescribe the minimum distances that must be maintained from, for example, human beings and fixed structure (unfortunately I’m not able to quote specifics). I was recently buzzed near a children’s play area in a public park by a very low flying drone, which continued across the adjacent lake but did not, unfortunately, crash into it. The most worrying aspects of this incident was that the operator was no where to be seen – presumably he/she was flying it remotely using some form of video feed.

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I’m holding out for ‘Beam me up, Scotty’!

Oh me too, wouldn’t that be amazing. Beamed direct from your house to your hotel room.

@Fossil wrote:

How about solar powered planes

Solar panels & batteries have to develop a long way to be able to provide the power for an A380. The wingspan of the plane that just held a single guy in that challenge this year was huge. The batteries are currently too heavy. Remember the boat we were on in France, just to power that the batteries weighed a ton. Without doubt solar is the best solution if the technology could be developed to do it.

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

Hydrogen-powered drones could point way to future trave

How about solar powered planes, after all they fly so high they are always in sunshine during daylight hours and then in the hours of darkness the power could come from solar charged batteries.

London

coolonespa wrote:

oolonespa
07:19 30-Dec-19

“Hydrogen-powered drones could point way to future travel” and help reduce emissions. Full story at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-50839917/hydrogen-powered-drones-could-point-way-to-future-travel

I’m holding out for ‘Beam me up, Scotty’!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

“Hydrogen-powered drones could point way to future travel” and help reduce emissions. Full story at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-50839917/hydrogen-powered-drones-could-point-way-to-future-travel

Essex UK

Another lifesaving use for Drone Technology:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47309085

Essex UK

I’ve recorded a programme that was on television last night which features Tony Robinson of Baldrick fame using drones to discover hidden places around the UK.

One particular site he visits are the sea forts at the entrance to the Thames

It’s entitled ‘Hidden Britain by Drone’ and if anyone missed it it will be repeated on Tuesday on More4 at 10.00pm.

I remember seeing them in the distance on my visit to Whitstable…

coolonespa wrote:

OK, thanks for the update. I wonder if Richard will be too close to Southampton airspace?

Just looked and he is outside the zone for Southampton airport.

London
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message