Welcome to our forums.

Doom Mongering or Destiny ?

…well did you see it on TV last night ? The beginning of the Olympic ceremonies in Greece ? Pathetic is too mild a word…poor old Greece not even attempting to conceal its problems appeared to wheel out a couple of dozen locals in Togas and what looked like a few hundred spectators as the torch was lit ( and at one point blew out – an omen ?) in some attempt to replay the ceremonial opening which dates back to an age before Christ.

This country, unarguably the bedrock for the Classics, Art , Drama, Culture, home of Aristotle, Plato, Sophocles to name but a few and of course the Olympic games reduced to presenting something akin to a moderately attended school sports day. Honestly, I’ve seen more members of the public and Police in attendance at Pontefract Racecourse on a rainy day. All very sad and forlorn all told.

It then got me thinking as to what the BBC may not have been telling us…have the peoples of Greece deliberately boycotted the event…looked like it to me…what do people think ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Well…by basic rules of accountancy if they can rake in £12 Billion in revenue or more then everybody’s happy…if not…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I hear all you say about cost but what about the revenue that will be coming the UK’s way, particularly traders in London. Hotels will be full, restaurants likewise, from the corner shop, to the tourist attractions, to the guy selling hot dogs from a cart, are all going to get a slice of the extra business. Hopefully they’ll all pay their taxes & it will be all right on the night………what an optimist.

Essex UK

But surely these ships and personnel would be ‘active’ anyway.

They weren’t just recruited for the Olympic Games.[/quote]

My point entirely when I heard the news. I dare say the M.O.D. are here to earn a few bob as well !

I suppose they could argue that they’re having to lay on extra shifts for their staff and all that that entails…catering, medical etc.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Anyone who hasn’t read my thread on the Olympic site…

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=771

…may first wish to do so. There are a few answers there to some of the questions here.

Well someone quoted a figure to me of £45 million alone just for the fully crewed, fully armed, combat ready warships which will be patrolling the Thames.

A drop in the river if you add to that the cost of infantry, aircraft, extra Police drafts, missile launchers etc. etc. Whatever the profit margin set on the Olympics it must come at a heavy cost…

But surely these ships and personnel would be ‘active’ anyway.

They weren’t just recruited for the Olympic Games.

Further discussions on this with some colleagues last night…apparently the whole event is set to cost an estimated £12 Billion . From our own city alone 40 Police officers are apparently to be drafted down to London to help out, similarly I presume, officers will be drafted in from forces across the country nationwide wherever you may live…which led to the next obvious question…what about the rest of us who aren’t attending the games ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Well someone quoted a figure to me of £45 million alone just for the fully crewed, fully armed, combat ready warships which will be patrolling the Thames.

A drop in the river if you add to that the cost of infantry, aircraft, extra Police drafts, missile launchers etc. etc. Whatever the profit margin set on the Olympics it must come at a heavy cost…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Personally I feel sorry for the people living in London. Everyone it getting the excitement of the games but it is only the people who pay their Council Tax to a London Borough who are paying for it. 11 years is a long time to pay for something and will that be the end of it? Some countries will still be paying long after 11 years. We will be one?

A Cruise Ship Somewhere

I stayed there over Xmas ( see other thread) and remember thinking that particular part of London is the worst place you could place such an event …if anything were to "kick off" it is the nerve centre of Britain’s Financial Institutions…mega storey glass tower blocks for all the major Banks…

Wakefield, West Yorks.
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message