Welcome to our forums.

Did you know - Facts

A Lego brick can survive in the oceans for up to 1,300 years.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Bees have developed a system of gang mugging an invading superior hornet by surrounding it en masse and beating their wings to generate heat, effectively cooking the hornet to death (National Geopgraphic).

In 2015 the world disposed of $450 billion in clothes (National Geographic).

Britons waste an annual 400,000 tons of potatoes (National Geographic)

The French consume 10 billion baguettes every year.

Today (14th March) is international Pi day. That’s the mathematical Pi not the Greggs ones.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

There are currently around 3 trillion trees on Earth covering 30% of the planet’s surface. 50% less since the start of human civilisation. To slow Co2 emissions down by one decade, we would now need to plant 160 trees each (all 7.7 billion of us). Such a move would increase Co2 absorption by trees by 100 gigatonnes compared to the 400 gigatonnes which trees absorb today. We are currently felling trees at a rate of 15 billion a year, that’s 500 trees per second, 29,000 trees per minute, 1.7 million trees per hour or 41 million trees a day.

@Grey-Wolf
Thanks for the links.
I used to inherit my big brother’s reading matter….Eagle, Lion, Biggles et al…..and wondered why I hadn’t come across Thunder…until I saw that the Black Max strip first appeared in 1970….way past my peak comic reading years…

Gullane

Earliest bat fossils date back 55 million years, with 1,200 species , bats form 20% of all mammalian life on Earth, the largest ever bats, known as flying foxes (of the genus Acerodon Jubatus) have a wingspan of 1.7 metres.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

On a more serious and bat friendly note:

http://www.bats.org.uk

Wakefield, West Yorks.
6545 Posts
Sign in to add your message