The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Destination Focus: South Africa

Thanks Gill

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

the setting is very typical of Florida also

Yes that’s right, I can see that too now you’ve pointed it out.

Close by to those houses is Seal point, a lovely rugged stretch of coastline. There’s a lighthouse here & a sanctuary rescuing sea birds & nursing them back to a state where they can be released back into the wild:

Essex UK

coolonespa wrote:

coolonespa
11:04 22-Jul-18

I loved the white-washed cottages of St Francis Bay. Many of the cottages are set alongside a canal system, so think Cornwall/Venice combo, very picturesque.

Lovely pics. @coolonespa – the setting is very typical of Florida also, although they are mainly ‘Park Homes’ set along the canals.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

I loved the white-washed cottages of St Francis Bay. Many of the cottages are set alongside a canal system, so think Cornwall/Venice combo, very picturesque.

Essex UK

Thanks Gill, glad you enjoyed it. I’ll add some more photos later.

Essex UK

Excellent review @coolonespa – with wonderful pictures to enhance it.

My write up of my trip along the Garden Route of SA is now available on the site here: https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/destination-features-africa-south-africa/the-garden-route-south-africa

Below is a picture from The Cango Caves. This vast selection of limestone caves was well worth a visit, with chambers as big as cathedrals and interesting collections of stalagmites and stalactites. The informative guide conducts the tour and also gives the excellent acoustics a work out by bursting into song at a couple of points.

Essex UK

Coincidently @Fossil and @coolonespa I just received a request this morning from a South African friend to sign a petition. If it is not against STA rules, I give the link here:-

https://www.change.org/p/the-secretary-general-of-the-united-nations-end-farm-murders-in-south-africa

A wonderful country spoilt by a minority.

I agree a heartbreaking story. We didn’t go to that museum but between the Apartheid Museum and our guide we got an understanding of what happened.

What I loved about SA was that, the people I met, where prepared to acknowledge the less savoury aspects of their history and talk about how proud they were to be South African, how they were changing gradually in the right direction, but had a long way to go.

Essex UK

South Africa was a country I fell in love with when I went there in 2008. The memorial you show @coolonespa is the Hector Pieterson Memorial in Orlando West, Soweto, it tells the story of school children who, on the 16th June 1976, took to the streets in a peaceful protest against the enforced use of the Afrikaans language. On that day 23 children were shot dead by police and one of the first to be killed was Hector Pieterson, just 12 years old. I don’t know if you went through the museum and watched the films and listened to the stories and accounts but they are heartbreaking. On leaving I remember being in tears and seeing the glass wall behind which were bricks and on each brick was the name of a child killed in the riots whilst outside their names are recorded in Zulu. https://www.gauteng.net/attractions/hector_pieterson_memorial_and_museum/
From this arose the current national anthem, Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika (God Bless Africa) a song the children sang. This is the best version I know of it, used as the theme song for one of my all time favourite films "Cry Freedom’ listen and enjoy.

London

Thanks Gill. It always inspires me to write more when I know someone is enjoying my scribblings.

Essex UK
Sign in to add your message