The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Cruise holiday Vs hotel Stay Holiday

Cruise holiday Vs hotel Stay Holiday both are best. We are tossing up either a cruise of the south pacific on a Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise ship or a resort holiday overseas preferably Hotels · Things to do Restaurant, Flights, Holiday homes, Package Holidays, Travel

Titlee wrote:

ugly Soviet-era buildings and dour locals.

There is plenty of that but also so much that is amazing. I loved my trip to Russia & I did it on a cruise. Find out more at: https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-viking-river-and-ocean-cruises-blog/waterways-of-the-tsars-chapter-1-the-ship-and-the-stroganoff

Essex UK

On the two trips we made to Russia we were struck by how welcoming and friendly the ‘ordinary’ people were.

Yes there are still a lot of ugly Soviet era buildings but there is a lot of heritage too – the kremlins in the towns, as well as all the old churches that survived the Soviet purge. Some of these with their wonderful wall paintings are being lovingly restored and are in use again.

ESW
Lincolnshire

To be perfectly honest, Russia was never high up on my travel bucket list. It’s one of those countries that I assumed I would visit eventually, but that I wasn’t actively dreaming about like some other places on my “to visit list”. But then my close friends just came from Russia and told me about and all the places that they got to see thanks to their service. A lot of Americans have certain preconceptions about Russia. We associate the country with communism and the Cold War and have visions in our heads of ugly Soviet-era buildings and dour locals. Many even assume that Americans are not welcome in Russia. Not true, I was better greeted in Russia than I am when I come home from work. (just kidding)

Kansas

ubrus wrote:

ubrus
14:22 30-May-19

We’re more into cruises now. It’s costly, but takes away the stress of planning at least.

When you take everythng into consideration, I think cruising is a very reasonable option, personally.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

We’re more into cruises now. It’s costly, but takes away the stress of planning at least.

Definitely cruising for me. It’s a great way to see a lot of different countries in a short space of time, especially if, like me, you have fitness and mobility issues.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Each to their own – I’m not into cruises – I don’t need entertaining (I’m happy with a book or my notebook to write in) and people to chat to from time to time, and I’d rather potter round unlikely places on my own than join group excursions to tourist hot-spots.

But neither do I stay in 5* hotels or resorts – I’d rather stay in small hotels or B&B’s, wander round a town to find places to eat and things to see or do, and then move on somewhere else when I feel like it. I know it can be a bit hit-and-miss, but I’d rather make a few travelling mistakes and meet unlikely people along the way than have it all done for me.

I prefer staying in a hotels

I love cruises, but my husband has a motion sickness, and I don’t want to be on a cruise alone. So the best for us is a hotel stay holidays

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message