Welcome to our forums.

Costa Cruise Ports Cancelled

Cruzeroqueen wrote:

The general concensus of opinion amongst the passengers was that, as Madagascar was the high point of the cruise for most people”,

On a general point, isn’t it funny that the one cancelled port on any cruise is always that one visit that motivated most cruisers to book the cruise?

Call me a cynic but I have been around a while.

Last Edited by Solent_Richard at 16 Nov 16:37

Fossil wrote:

“Costa cancelled several port visits on a recent cruise”.
Cruzeroqueen wrote:

" I was due to go on this cruise @Fossil but had to cancel due to still being in hospital on the due date….

… Costa only offered 150$ OBC"

This event was actually reported on another site on 11 November under the title “How do costa deal with a mutiny” and quoting the Telegraph article dated 9 September.

Having just viewed the comments on CruiseCritic, there are some interesting comments and, as always on cruise forums, lots of wild speculation and emails flying everywhere.

Without getting bogged down in too much detail, I frankly think Costa just about got it right and their offer of compensation far exceeded that which Star Clipper offered for a cancelled visit on my recent cruise…

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/11/04/star-clipper-java-sea-limited-edition-cruise/

… to the island of Belitung…

Of course, as always, you get what you pay for.

I was due to go on this cruise @Fossil but had to cancel due to still being in hospital on the due date. I had been in contact with people on Cruise Critic Roll Call for some time prior to this. The main bone of contention was that Cost were aware that they were very likely to cancel these ports but failed to inform the passengers until 6 days into the cruise. Some people had private excursions booked, and had they had prior notice, they could have cancelled them. The general concensus of opinion amongst the passengers was that, as Madagascar was the high point of the cruise for most people, had they known they would not be going there, then they would have cancelled, and Costa were aware of that, and hence kept schtum. The outbreak occurred some weeks before the cruise, so it was not a sudden thing. Although bubonic plague is endemic there, it usually only occurs in out of the way places, but the recent outbreaks were in a couple of major cities, including the capital. The pneumonic version was comparitively new, much more infectious, and could result in death within 36-48 hours without treatment. In lieu of the missed ports – and the alternatives were half a day extra in the Seychelles, an extra day in Reunion, and another sea day – Costa only offered 150$ OBC.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Costa cancelled several port visits on a recent cruise. This was the result.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/09/frenchman-thrown-costa-cruise-liner-indian-ocean-leading-mutiny/

London
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message