The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Change to Everest climbing route

@GavinBate -

Hi – wow, that is amazing, and can we interview you for our Silver Travel radio show please!
London

I found the article fascinaing and it does concern me how ill prepared some people are when they head for the mountains.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Welcome to the forum @GavinBate

London

As a newcomer to this website and also a mountain guide I was interested by the thread title! I have climbed Everest six times and personally found each expedition a greatly exhilarating and humbling journey. There’s a lot more to it than what is presented in the media of course. The oldest person I ever met to climb it was a 79 year old Spanish man who I met climbing in Antarctica. Very inspirational guy, even if he hardly ever spoke a word.

Anyway, the Daily Mail obviously thought my story was worth writing about –
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3535908/Car-sized-falling-ice-blocks-diarrhoea-brain-15-capacity-Everest-climber-reveals-amateurs-think-carefully-attempting-world-s-highest-peak.html

I am available for any mountain guiding work – still going strong in my 50s! – and it doesn’t have to be Everest. Trekking and hillwalking and higher peaks.

London

A look around Everest’s base camp:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32366860

Essex UK
I was going, it’s a short hop from Thailand but then I found out there are NO escalators

That gave me a smile, and so did the following on comments too….. ….Thanks

Bedford

Or free knee replacements half way up …

or lifts

Essex UK

I was going, it’s a short hop from Thailand but then I found out there are NO escalators

Rosie Thomas’ book "White" is spellbinding, about a group of people being led up Everest. I found it completely fascinating throughout….yes, it’s billed as a love story, but the main love turns out to be the love of climbing and Everest itself. I learnt so much about the route, and had to keep opening maps on the internet to see which crag they were on.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message