Welcome to our forums.

Carrier bag charges start Monday 5th October 2015

@Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

Alan, I do admire yur optimism!

Looks like a (justifiable) dose of cynicism to me

@applegroupie wrote:

There was talk that the money saved from producing the plastic bags for Tesco was supposed to go to charity, but I am not sure if that did happen or how much did go to charity.

coolonespa Love your Star War shopping bags!

Thanks. I think the law was that the money collected from the 5p bags must go to charity, less the cost of producing the bags & administering the schemes. I think the negative publicity for Tesco was that they wren’t passing as much of the 5p on to charity as was initially expected. So not only have they lost the cost of the bags they don’t need to buy but they ones they do buy are paid for by the customer now. So my own dose of cynicism now….of course all the saving was passed through to the customer

Essex UK

Fossil wrote:

If the use of plastic bags has dropped as dramatically as we are told does that mean supermarkets will be reducing their prices due to the money saved it used to cost them in producing the plastic bags that are no longer needed!!!

There was talk that the money saved from producing the plastic bags for Tesco was supposed to go to charity, but I am not sure if that did happen or how much did go to charity.

@coolonespa Love your Star War shopping bags!

Fossil wrote:

Fossil
10:13 03-Feb-18

If the use of plastic bags has dropped as dramatically as we are told does that mean supermarkets will be reducing their prices due to the money saved it used to cost them in producing the plastic bags that are no longer needed!!!

Alan, I do admire yur optimism! @Fossil

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

London
I never use the 5p bags anymore, and have my own. The kids know I like a bit of sci-fi and bought me the set of Star Wars bags, from Tesco’s I think. No supermarket branding and the force is always with me

Essex UK

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

I turn it inside out!

What a great idea @Cruzeroqueen1 I shall do that next time.

applegroupie wrote:

I don’t mind paying 5p for a plastic carrier bag but I do begrudge advertising for Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose et al! Their name is emblazoned on their bags and I am walking up/down my High Street carry

Totally agree with you, @applegroupie – If they want me to advertise them, they’ll have to pay me. Consequently on the rare occasions I have had to have one, I turn it inside out!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Most likely the problem will be solved by them being removed from supermarkets altogether soon.

Essex UK

Morrisons used to do a see through one which was actually a cleverer way of advertising as it displayed all the products you’d just bought, so anyone seeing you with it could stick their snout in and have a good shufty at yer goodies and think “Oh they sell those do they ? Best get missen down theer !” The carrier bag was invented by Sten Gustaf Thulin of Noorskoopig, Sweden

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I don’t mind paying 5p for a plastic carrier bag but I do begrudge advertising for Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose et al! Their name is emblazoned on their bags and I am walking up/down my High Street carrying my shopping in them advertising that I have given them my custom. I would prefer the bags to be plain with no print on them.

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message