Welcome to our forums.

Can you recycle too much!!

That’s it, cant get anymore in the recycle bin despite standing in it twice – good job its due for emptying tomorrow….Roll on….

Bedford

Lots of recycle paper and plastic products these last couple of days – the bins almost full to bursting….

Bedford

Everythng goes to the recycling bins 4 km away (on the way to town) next to the little concrete shed where my postbox is housed. Our land comprises ridges, embankments and litle pockets of almond and olive groves, so any garden waste gets chicked over the nearest embankment into one of these and biodegrades nicely.

Last Edited by unknown at 19 Apr 02:43
Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

We have 4 small recycling bins in a pub car park, but take our cardboard and plastics down to Seascale.
All my weeds, clippings etc go under the trees or hedges, so I don’t use the garden bin. Hopefully the wild life makes use of it.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
Here’s an interesting fact about recycling….Recycling one glass jar saves enough energy to watch TV for around 3 hours….Obviously depends on the size of the jar I would have thought…

Or the size of the TV

Essex UK

Here’s an interesting fact about recycling….Recycling one glass jar saves enough energy to watch TV for around 3 hours….Obviously depends on the size of the jar I would have thought…

Last Edited by unknown at 18 Apr 23:08
Bedford

There’s always been a problem with plastics, which are made in different ways. A local group collected plastic bottle tops, which don’t go into the recycling bins, but it turned out that there was only-I think-one company which could deal with them. I still see lots of milk bottles with tops- and sometimes milk- in the bins, and wonder how they’re dealt with….We read at one time that they were just tipped into land fill.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

I once had an interesting conversation with someone in the paper business who once went through a list with me of all the *non-recyclable [/b]paper products. This included shiny glossy magazine paper, already recycled paper products, paper with staples in it, wax paper, laminated paper, paper with glue or cellophane on ( i.e windowed envelopes) and others …quite a list really…makes you think what [b]is* actually recycled and what is just sent to landfill, but the effort of doing it (‘recycling’) makes you feel better like an ecological placebo. A bit like Churchill’s equally pointless pots pans and railings requistions during WWII.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

We recycle pretty much all we can, which includes food waste. Food waste goes to as special high temperature composter & we have small caddies that are collected weekly.
In all honesty most councils only recycle because its cheaper than landfill so the recycling too much story above is nonsense.
You pretty much need a degree in recycling to work out what goes in what bin here but Essex CC have a pretty good track record of recycling.
Makes me feel good we’re doing something to help slow down the mess we’re making of this planet.

Last Edited by unknown at 18 Apr 22:20
Essex UK

I was interesed that you can recycle food waste but not garden waste.

North Lincs stopped us from recycling food waste as there were concerns that the way their composters work there was a risk of it spreading foot and mouth disease….

From the council website:
Food – residents are no longer able to dispose of uncooked fruit and vegetable waste including peelings in the brown bin. Please put all your uncooked fruit and vegetable waste into your home compost bin. If you are unable to compost at home you will now need to put all of your fruit and vegetable waste, tea bags and coffee grounds into your general waste bin. Any other food wastes – uncooked or cooked – should be disposed of as general waste, or you could consider buying a special food waste digester which can compost all of your garden and kitchen food waste including cooked and uncooked food, meat, fish, bones, dairy products, bread, pasta, fruit scraps and vegetable peelings.

They don’t tell you waht to do with the stuff produced by the ‘special food waste digester’. (Answers on a post card please.)

General rubbish bins are emptied fortnightly but the council don’t seem concerned about health issues like flies (just wrap it up in more layers). No-one seems worried that in landfill it might contribute to methane production and global warming.

ESW
Lincolnshire
Sign in to add your message