Welcome to our forums.

Can you recycle too much!!

coolonespa wrote:

so I try not to make a special journey there & create more CO2

Well done.

London

@bonzo wrote:

and takes them to our local Council yard recycling centre

Well done to you & your husband for recycling as much as you can. I’m sure that your husband met many kindred spirits at the bottle bank clearing out the bottles used over Christmas.

I do similar & fortunately the recycling centre isn’t that much of a detour from the supermarket, so I try not to make a special journey there & create more CO2 by taking stuff to the centre, rather do it when I’m going out anyway.

Essex UK

We only have a grey bin for general waste. My husband is in charge of the recycling in our house. In the shed he has a bag for plastics, a bag for cardboard, and a bag for tins. Also has a separate bag for paper and a box in which he keeps bottles and jars. When these receptacles are full he then loads them into the boot of the car and takes them to our local Council yard recycling centre. No, you cannot recycle too much because hubby recycles so much less goes to the land fill sites and our grey bin only needs collecting by the Council every 2 or 3 weeks.

That’s a very useful link, thanks @GreyWolf

Essex UK

Our local paper is promoting this site for UK residents. Christmas trees, light bulbs, aerosols, mobile phones, crisp packets, tin foil and much more, allocated recycling sites all listed by post code. Enter your post code to find the recycling sites nearest you. Site also includes short animation videos depicting the recycling processes for different items. Link below:

http://www.recyclenow.com

Last Edited by GreyWolf at 31 Dec 19:04

I recycle as much as possibe, and never waste food. Our only food waste is stuff like potato peelings, onion skins, outer leaf of lettuce maybe. Back in UK we had compost heaps for that, but it is not viable in this area, when it can be without rain for 5 or 6 months, and our water supply can be cut off for up to two weeks at a time. Our dog loves all ‘human’ food, inc. spag. bol., curry and chili con carne, etc. so on the rare occasion anything is left, he’s more than happy to ‘clean up’.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Interesting new recycling information site here full of fascinating facts and household top tips:

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com
Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 24 Sep 10:57
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Our council tax was frozen last year until 2015 I’m pleased to say, we recycle everything we can which I hope has a small saving on the dreaded tax, I like to think so anyway.

Bedfordshire

Our Council Tax has been frozen for the last couple of years, so hopefully the reduced landfill costs have partly enabled that.

Essex UK

If by re-cycling we are saving the local council thousands on land fill costs why hasn’t the council tax gone down?

London
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message