The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Better weather = more stay at home holidays?

The lakes are beautiful Mungo but notoriously wet…fingers crossed for you for good weather.

Aberdeen

I live on the Kent coast and believe B&Bs are able to charge more because there are so few of them! Also their overheads must be big. So many lovely boarding houses that once were …….now have been converted into flats and bedsits……. Such a shame.

I am a cruise lover BUT I don’t go for the food or entertainment…… Yes they are definitely an added bonus. I go to see wonderful places and to enjoy being at sea.

My next holiday is a week in a caravan in the Lakes. We are trying to make it a reasonable price by sharing with others and self catering as much as possible…… We have booked one evening meal out in a local pub!

Just hope the weather is kind!

Last Edited by unknown at 18 Mar 12:57
Kent

Best I stick to cruising in Europe by the sounds of it. Anyone misbehaving gets put ashore at the next port and has to make their own way home.Quite an incentive to behave.

London

I understand what you are saying Fossil but we didn’t and wouldn’t ever consider a stay at a 2 or 3 star! These were 4 and 5 star including RIU establishments, admittedly European but not all Spanish.

Aberdeen
Have to agree with you on this, but its all inclusive….had horrific experiences when the kids were young on these. Why do people feel they have to drink all day and fill plates with food to the brim? Anyone else feel this way?

I know what you mean but have only seen bad behaviour at the 2 and 3 star establishments in Spain. Never had a problem with 5 star in the Caribbean or Africa. Personally I would recommend the all inclusive at any of the RIU or Hilton hotels.

London
Anyone else feel this way?

You can add my name to the list. But then as regulars know, I don’t ‘do’ cruises, for this reason. I don’t want the entertainment or the non-stop eating, which seems to be the only reason a lot of people go on them… I need more from a holiday than that.

Until about 8 years ago we always used to holiday in the UK but have spread our wings since then. However this year we’ve had three short (3-5 day) holidays in UK and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Living here, I think we do under estimate what the UK has to offer. The Kent coast hasn’t featured on our list (memories of family holidays at Birchington…) and I agree with Fossil that some B&B’s are beginning to charge silly prices now.

Stopping in the UK, you can feel virtuous that your hard earned cash is going to support our economy.

Prudhoe has a pretty good ruined castle too, if you like that sort of thing…which we do.

ESW
Lincolnshire
I still maintain the problem with the UK is that it is too expensive. By way of an example I have just looked up some B&B’s on the Kent coast. Most are between £80 and £100 a night at this time of year. Add to this the cost of lunch, dinner and any drinks you may want it is going to be around £80 – £90 per day total per person. Compare this to a cruise for 7 days costing around £500 per person which includes entertainment in fairly luxurious surroundings. For me their is no comparison. Or book a late deal to Spain with one of the major holiday companies. I have just checked Thomson’s and you can get an all inclusive in Spain or Turkey for under £500 each. Again no contest.

Have to agree with you on this, but its all inclusive….had horrific experiences when the kids were young on these. Why do people feel they have to drink all day and fill plates with food to the brim? Anyone else feel this way?

Aberdeen

Sadly you’re right, some of the current overseas breaks are great value. I think I posted on another thread that my son has just come back from a top quality all inclusive week in Egypt for £400 pp. There are good value breaks to be had in the UK e.g.
£89 — 4-Star Sheffield Stay w/Chatsworth Tkts, Reg £205*
http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/uk-hotels-b … 5-1529760/
They just take a bit of hunting out.

Essex UK

I still maintain the problem with the UK is that it is too expensive. By way of an example I have just looked up some B&B’s on the Kent coast. Most are between £80 and £100 a night at this time of year. Add to this the cost of lunch, dinner and any drinks you may want it is going to be around £80 – £90 per day total per person. Compare this to a cruise for 7 days costing around £500 per person which includes entertainment in fairly luxurious surroundings. For me their is no comparison. Or book a late deal to Spain with one of the major holiday companies. I have just checked Thomson’s and you can get an all inclusive in Spain or Turkey for under £500 each. Again no contest.

London

It’s nice to hear some positive stories about the NHS, when the papers are full of stories knocking the service we get.
Going back to the original theme, I wonder how many families are kicking themselves that they booked holidays abroad only to find that the weather was as good if not better here.

Last Edited by unknown at 18 Mar 11:34
Essex UK
Sign in to add your message