Welcome to our forums.

Best Use of Benefits?

My friend taught Domestic Science in a poor area. Her concern was to see that no-one left school without knowing how to cook simple, cheap dishes such as stews, pasta, pastry etc. Her job changed, and became more science orientated, so she ran after school courses for the school leavers’ classes, on how to live away from home and yet eat well. It was always well attended- she and others covered simple finance, banking etc, and they always believed that these were more important than pushing for top grades….
Then I think of the mother we knew whose only idea of feeding the kids was to buy a big parcel of chips, and open a tin of luncheon meat.

Well done to your friend. Its nice to see someone gives back & teaching some essential life skills.

Essex UK
I was talking to a chap I met in our post office last week, I guess he was in his early 50’s, he was scruffy with lots of facial hair. He seemed quite proud of the fact that he hadn’t worked for the past 26 years, when I asked him why he replied "I don’t need to, I get enough in benefits"

He visits the job centre when he has to and goes for job interviews when he has to, but, as he told me, he turns up scruffy and acts like an idiot so he never gets offered anything – just how he likes it.

I can’t reply on here with my response or I would have to ban myself, needless to say he was still yelling at me as I walked off down the road….

Its exactly that sort of abuse of the system that needs to be stamped out. As a country we just can’t afford to keep the spongers any more.

Essex UK

My friend taught Domestic Science in a poor area. Her concern was to see that no-one left school without knowing how to cook simple, cheap dishes such as stews, pasta, pastry etc. Her job changed, and became more science orientated, so she ran after school courses for the school leavers’ classes, on how to live away from home and yet eat well. It was always well attended- she and others covered simple finance, banking etc, and they always believed that these were more important than pushing for top grades….
Then I think of the mother we knew whose only idea of feeding the kids was to buy a big parcel of chips, and open a tin of luncheon meat.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

I was talking to a chap I met in our post office last week, I guess he was in his early 50’s, he was scruffy with lots of facial hair. He seemed quite proud of the fact that he hadn’t worked for the past 26 years, when I asked him why he replied "I don’t need to, I get enough in benefits"

He visits the job centre when he has to and goes for job interviews when he has to, but, as he told me, he turns up scruffy and acts like an idiot so he never gets offered anything – just how he likes it.

I can’t reply on here with my response or I would have to ban myself, needless to say he was still yelling at me as I walked off down the road….

Bedford
I am all for a safety net when people who work fall ill or on hard times, that is what it was originally for

There’s no doubt that the system has lost its way & is being abused. Lets hope the current reforms can be followed by more that get us back on track.

Essex UK
There is a general election in May, you have a choice.

It doesn’t matter who you vote for…………‘the government’ always gets in!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

There is a general election in May, you have a choice.

London
Unfortunately the system isn’t fit for purpose.
I am just left wondering how long it will be before those who saved for retirement lose any state pension so the government can keep the feckless in the manner to which they are accustomed.
I am all for a safety net when people who work fall ill or on hard times, that is what it was originally for, however there is now an underclass who abuse that, and all taxpayers.

Exactly Keith. But the amazing thing is how long this has been allowed to continue There are now second generation claimants bringing forth even more potential claimants, who don’t have the slightest inkling of ‘work ethic’ and think that it is just ‘the government’ which provides their ‘rightful’ benefits. Also they seem to have no conception of where ‘the government’ gets the money from in the first place to fund their lifestyle.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Unfortunately the system isn’t fit for purpose.
I am just left wondering how long it will be before those who saved for retirement lose any state pension so the government can keep the feckless in the manner to which they are accustomed.
I am all for a safety net when people who work fall ill or on hard times, that is what it was originally for, however there is now an underclass who abuse that, and all taxpayers.

She’s obviously getting to much money out of our pockets – the lazy so and so, paper plates indeed, And she’s a mother too, one wonders what other sort of junk she’s feeding to her children…..

Bedford
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message