Welcome to our forums.

Back to School

We used to have a master who strictly forbade the wearing of jeans which he referred to as “train driver’s trousers” ditto the impossibly small tie knot and top shirt button undone...“the American cop Columbo look…” Both offences punishable by detention.

Last Edited by Grey-Wolf at 11 Sep 19:29
Wakefield, West Yorks.

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

‘Stand your child in front of a door day’

Essex UK

My two had their pictures taken in the garden with greenery or with the fence…

ESW
Lincolnshire

During the last week, when there was a plethora of children wearing their new uniform posted on FB, some wag dubbed it the ‘Stand your child in front of a door day’, as all were thus posed

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Number two grandson started school this week and was so proud of his new uniform. It saves a lot of time in the mornings as there’s no discussion or argument about what is being worn.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Yep I’m with Alan & Riversiderouge. Perhaps in the past the difference between expensive uniforms and that from cheaper suppliers was vast but now the stuff produced by Primark, Asda, Matalan etc. is much closer & will often be using the same materials. A lot depends on how you wear the stuff. I’ve seen guys with £1000 suits look like they just been wearing them in bed, but the guy standing next to him has a £100 M&S suit and looks smart & tailored. Same with uniforms.

Essex UK

My view is that school uniforms are a great equalizer. I applaud the headmaster that has held his ground and all power to his elbow. My parents were very working class but they got their spending priorities right and bought me a school uniform so that I looked like everybody else.

The problem today is that nobody likes being told what to do or how to behave and there is little respect for authority, the police, nhs staff or elders. That’s my opinionSo I’m with you Fossil!

Bishop Auckland

@Pink I stand by my comment. A school uniform stops the better off allowing their children to attend school in designer clothing which is far beyond the reach of many families and which causes resentment amongst pupils who cannot afford it. School uniform also helps keep the ‘Peer’ structure under control.
It is in many cases not necessary to buy from the school accredited outfitters but from suppliers who are cheaper.
As always just my opinion.

London

@Fossil. Nonsense.

I remember at my school you could always tell which kids’ families had the money and which ones didn’t. My thick wooly blue blazer and black pants came from the local sports shop distributor. Posh kids wore polyester viscous composite shiny black pants and tailored woven cotton blazers from somewhere else.

The school tie and badge was about the only leveller ( maroon, blue and gold in our case).

It seems like a time capsule looking back on all that … all those school assemblies amidst the oak panels….

“Well, which boy hasn’t whittled down a piece of wood just for fun of a Sunday afternoon ? "

Then my parting shot at my PE teacher in 6th form as to why I’d been made to play rugby for five years when I was useless at it:

“__Well, Grey Wolf, at least you know now, you CAN’T play rugby. And that lad, is we call an education.”__

What wonderful life preparation…

Wakefield, West Yorks.

pink wrote:

pink
12:57 09-Sep-16

School uniform is a great equaliser.

that has always been the myth, perpetuated by those who could easily afford all the items on the list, and happily so by those who could afford to “test the boundaries”, knowing they could replace anything that didn’t get through!
for many families (way back when) it was a struggle to get a full set in the first place, keep it washed in time for next-wearing, mended, etc.
now it seems that the “can’t afford it” problem has been addressed by mass-producing poor-quality poor-styling versions that can’t really, surely, induce real pride?

and of course all the negative stuff about uniforms continues, separating by class, religion, etc.

incidentally, school uniforms are not favoured by our german cousins.

[all the usual provisos about this being “just my opinion”]

Img 5383 copy %282%29
pink
London

@Pink I think because of the rate schoolchildren grow out of clothes, and (being sexist now) boys in particular have playground scuffles and ruin their clothes and shoes, then ‘poor quality’, inexpensive garments are a good idea – as long as they are in the school colours.

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message