Welcome to our forums.

Apples

Jonagold are normally reasonably priced & I like the taste.

Hmmm Jonagold eh ? …never heard of those…wonder if it’s a Golden Johnny hybrid…(conspiracy theory no.1,956 … )

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Jonagold are normally reasonably priced & I like the taste.

Essex UK
Pink Ladies seem to be the cheapest don’t they ?

Not round here, or very rarely. Gala is the cheapest at the moment and they can vary a lot. Some are very good, but others can be quite soft.

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:37
ESW
Lincolnshire

I’ve no idea what variety they are – but the apples on the tree next door. Small, red, juicy, sweet … and my neighbour has invited me to help myself!

Pink Ladies seem to be the cheapest don’t they ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.

I don’t really mind as long as they are crisp and crunchy and not too sweet. Braeburn, Cox, Gala – it all depends on what’s cheapest in the supermarket….

I used to enjoy Egremont Russet which had a lovely smell to them but either my nose isn’t as good or the smell isn’t.

ESW
Lincolnshire

Now I’m a fan of Breaburn apples (if that’s how you spell them) a nice crispy crunch to them as well as being juicy and full of flavour. My favourite as nothing comes close to them.

Bedfordshire

Golden Delicious as to me that is just what they are, delicious.

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 17:57
London

(Sorry clicked recommended books instead of gardening)

Unlike most other home grown fruit and veg where one variety can be just as good as another I don’t think it’s the same with apples.

Just been out pollarding, coppicing, pruning and scrumping on our apple trees which had bumper yields this year…brimming baskets of the blighters.

However, the variety isn’t that brilliant. Ours are Lord Lambourne ( a Devon variety) and I wouldn’t recommend them. They look attractive enough : plentiful, bodied, greeny golden orbs with a deep red flush, but they’re rock hard and not that sweet. W__h__ilst not officially classed as cooking apples they are best boiled with sugar for apple sauce or put in a pie, tartlet, crumble or sum such.

Personally, for me, with eating apples, it’s Golden Johnnies everytime.

Which is your favourite apple ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message