Welcome to our forums.

Apples

Just discovered the way to tackle a glut of Lord Lambourne apples…food blender ! Best Apple juice I’ve ever tasted that actually does taste like apples, unlike anything you’d buy in the shops !

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Unlike any other fruit, why does nature render Apples with flat bottoms ? Most convenient for the flat table/plate using Homo Sapien, but for what other purpose in nature did they evolve with such right angled rear ends , unlike the Orange, Grapefruit or Plum which will roll about ad infinitum if left uncoralled in the confines of a fruit bowl ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.

Good article that, explains a lot about why our traditional varieties are being pushed out.

Essex UK

An interesting article about apple varieties here and why the foreign varieties are winning out over the traditional British ones.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24578762

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:51
ESW
Lincolnshire

Apples from higher boughs of the trees are best harvested by the " brusher and plucker" method. Quite simply, one person ( the brusher) gently draws down the bough with a sweeping brush, holding the staff, using the brush head as a clamp against the desired branch at a ninety degree angle. Meanwhile the other person (the plucker), possibly perched upon a set of steps, picks the red russet orbs in a brisk plucking motion, gently placing in a vessel such as a b__a__sket or b_u_cket, from there to be newspaper wrapped and shed stored.

There are those who prefer the clockwise or counter clockwise rotational method of twisting off the fruit, but that never works for me, a brisk downward vertical pluck seems to work everytime.

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:50
Wakefield, West Yorks.

We had a Coxes when I was a child, and those are still my favourite – a crisp crunch with sweetness, then a good shake to hear how the pips rattle inside!

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:48
Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

With pleasure dear

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:48
Wakefield, West Yorks.
You’ve convinced me !! I’m going to see if Morrisons gave any Jonagold in !

And do give us your lyrical response….

Last Edited by unknown at 13 Apr 18:46
ESW
Lincolnshire

You’ve convinced me !! I’m going to see if Morrisons gave any Jonagold in !

Wakefield, West Yorks.

No conspiracy theory, just good old fashioned genetics and cross breeding…

Checking on wikipedia "Jonagold is a cultivar of apple which was developed in 1953 in New York, a cross between the crisp Golden Delicious and the blush-crimson Jonathan. They form a large sweet fruit with a thin skin. Because of their large size they are now favoured by commercial growers in many parts of the world…. Jonagold has a green-yellow basic color with crimson, brindled covering colour. The apple has a fluffily crisp fruit. It is juicy and aromatic and has a sweet-sour taste. The skin can also turn out fully red or green other than Golden-Red."

Reading the lyrical description, you could almost have penned that youself GW.
Wiki also goes on to say that "It is also the variety of apple that is used in Cidre (a brand of cider by lager manufacturer, Stella Artois)". Perhaps not such good news.

There is also Jonagored, a sport mutation of Jonagold which used to be around about 10 years ago, but I don’t think I’ve seen for a long time.

ESW
Lincolnshire
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message