The Silver Travel Forum – important update

Our Forum is now only available to read rather than to contribute to discussions. You can still access all threads, but you will no longer be able to add your own comments. If you would like to write a review instead, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]

Advice about Eastern Russia on a cruise ship

coolonespa wrote:

s coolonespa wrote:
(mentioned in the article) & here’s some additional pictures:

Haven’t been to the other ports you mention but other members may be able to help.
Is Naha/Okinawa one of the Japanese islands you are due to visit?

The-lone-traveller

04:53 09-Dec-18

These places are compleatly new to me, I was wondering what will be of interest to visit or do if I do not want to go on the oranaged excursions. I could just wonder around but if there is something special to see, why not seek it out in the limited time in port.. thanks for your help.

The-lone-traveller

coolonespa

08:21 08-Dec-18

@The-lone-traveller wrote:
but what are the places like?
Sounds like a great cruise. Could you be a bit more specific about what you would like help on please or what you’re trying to learn. I’m not sure what you mean by what are they like.

coolonespa

Essex UK

The-lone-traveller

15:06 07-Dec-18

I have booked a cruise to sail from Anchorage in Alaska to Japan calling at Seward, Kodiac , Dutch Harbour (USA) then Petropuvlovsk in Eastern Russia before a few ports of call in Japan. Can anyone advise me about this area , except I know it will be cold in late August but what are the places like?

coolonespa wrote:

s quite fun to wander around Anchorage, its very utilitarian in many ways. Things are built to do a specific job, buildings are often boxy, so ones where they’ve added a little flamboyance really stand out. Its easy to navigate, streets are in a grid system, letter on one axis, numbered on the other.

No I am not visiting Naha/Okinawa, thanks for information, I cannot wait to visit Alaska for the second time

Thanks for the extra info @The-lone-traveller

I’ve written 3 articles on my experiences in Alaska, here’s the link to part 1 and that will lead you to the other 2.

https://www.silvertraveladvisor.com/blog/cruise-holland-america-line-blog/alaska-cruising-holland-america-line-shore-exursions-part-1

Its quite fun to wander around Anchorage, its very utilitarian in many ways. Things are built to do a specific job, buildings are often boxy, so ones where they’ve added a little flamboyance really stand out. Its easy to navigate, streets are in a grid system, letter on one axis, numbered on the other. There are some free walks to do, like the Planet Walk:

Which takes in some nice scenery:

My favourite was the Alaska National Heritage Museum (mentioned in the article) & here’s some additional pictures:

Haven’t been to the other ports you mention but other members may be able to help.

Is Naha/Okinawa one of the Japanese islands you are due to visit?

Essex UK

These places are compleatly new to me, I was wondering what will be of interest to visit or do if I do not want to go on the oranaged excursions. I could just wonder around but if there is something special to see, why not seek it out in the limited time in port.. thanks for your help.

@The-lone-traveller wrote:

but what are the places like?

Sounds like a great cruise. Could you be a bit more specific about what you would like help on please or what you’re trying to learn. I’m not sure what you mean by what are they like.

Essex UK

I have booked a cruise to sail from Anchorage in Alaska to Japan calling at Seward, Kodiac , Dutch Harbour (USA) then Petropuvlovsk in Eastern Russia before a few ports of call in Japan. Can anyone advise me about this area , except I know it will be cold in late August but what are the places like?

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message