Useful travel sites for dementia, dialysis, oxygen, carers and general information
The following list is offered by way of suggestion and information that we hope will be useful to you. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge, but we cannot be held responsible for any errors. If you can’t find what you are looking for, simply email [email protected] and we will do our best to assist.
Dementia sufferersDementia Adventure - these breaks are aimed at people living with dementia and a carer enjoying the break together.
Revitalise - dedicated holidays for dementia sufferers.
Dialysis RequirementsFreedom - the Dialysis Holiday Specialists offer a complete service to all our customers, organising both the holiday and the dialysis requirements.
National Kidney Federation - the largest kidney patient charity in the UK.
Airline Oxygen Council of America (AOCA) - is a coalition of individuals and organizations whose
objective is to ease air travel for those who require supplemental oxygen.
Disability Holidays Guide
Holidays for Carers
Carehome - holidays, short breaks, hotels, self-catering for care home residents and
St Helens Carers Centre - have been supporting local carers for over 10 years. Holidays are available.
General sitesRights for travelers with a disability - EU Legislation re Disabled Travellers.
Quote from website "In Europe, more than one in five people find travelling difficult due to old age, disability or reduced mobility. To make every journey a pleasant experience, the European Union has established a series of rights that aim to enable you to get around just like anyone else, whether by plane or by train".
Equality and Human Rights Commission - Useful website setting out the rights of various groups of people including
the rights of those with disabilities.
National Benevolent Fund for the Aged - NBFA provides free holidays for low income
pensioners (groups and individuals welcome) who have not been on holiday in the
last three years. Contact: 32 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1 0RE, 020
7828 0200, [email protected]
Benenden Healthcare - besides offering health treatment Benenden offer many helpful tips for
limited mobility travelers.
Articles which may be of interest to
Limited Mobility travellers
- Jacqui, the Intrepid Traveller. This is an article about Jacqui who has had polio since childhood and who is highly dependent on her mobility scooter. However, Jacqui travels extensively internationally . Furthermore she engages in all manner of activities more normally undertaken by able bodied people. A very inspirational article.
- Interview with Lynne Kirby, co-founder and Managing Director of Enable Holidays which is a specialist operator in limited mobility holidays. It provides an informative insight into activities of Enable Holidays and is an eye opener as to which holidays can be open to limited mobility travelers.
- Responsible Travel - Holidays From a Chair - a different perspective by Trevor Herdman
You may also find interesting:
- Questions to ask as a limited mobility traveller.
- Suggestions for activities for limited mobility travelers while on holiday.
- Specialist companies for those with limited mobility or accessibility requirements.
- Air, Rail, Coach and Taxi services for limited mobility and accessibility requirements.
- Tips, ideas and useful websites for those travelling with a wheelchair, limited mobility or disability.
- Companies and Properties around the UK which offer accessible accommodation.