Welcome to our forums.

Free NHS European Health Insurance Card

14 Posts

True you don’t have to pay for card and the official government site is really easy to use to renew. It entitles you to what the locals get so if it isn’t free for them it isn’t free for you. On the official site recently it said they are not refunding some costs so you need to check with them when you come back, but don’t be disappointed if no refund1

Thanks, Albatrail – I have passed on those links to him:)

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

You should never have to pay for an EHIC – anyone who tries to sell you one is pulling a fast one!!

As for Spain – please don’t say it’s following Greece into economic mayhem?

JennyG wrote:

I got mine from wowfreestuff it came within a few days!

We go direct to the official Government/NHS website, no 3rd party, even if free.
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

Cruzeroqueen1 wrote:

A friend has been told he can’t have one as he is now resident in Spain and not in receipt of his
State Pension, nor is on bnefits!

Can he apply in Spain? It’s been discussed in these forums
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/649842-renewing-ehic-when-resident-spain.html

http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/201-applying-for-an-ehic-card-as-a-spanish-resident.html

Last Edited by Albatrail at 17 Jul 16:44
Scotland

A friend has been told he can’t have one as he is now resident in Spain and not in receipt of his
State Pension, nor is on bnefits!

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain
JennyG wrote 11:06 17-Jul-15 #08
I got mine from wowfreestuff it came within a few days!

Hi JennyG and welcome to the forum, and your first post..

Thanks for that link, an interesting site, everybody likes a freebie so I’ve bookmarked it and will be looking in from time to time.

David

Bedford

I got mine from wowfreestuff.co.uk it came within a few days!

I heard that some Travel Insurance companies are charging higher rates for those visiting Spain. In the News it said that due to financial problems Spain actually had to close some hospitals and put in charges in those that are still open.

Malta

The EHIC gives you the same public health treatment in EU countries as the residents receive. If you have to pay as in France then my understanding is that you obtain a receipt and then claim it back on returning to the UK. Problem comes when in an EU country that gives public health care but is so inferior that the majority of residents all have private health insurance.

London

Am I right that with the NHIC it doesn’t mean you’ll automatically get free emergency treatment, but you’ll pay as much as a resident of that country pays. For example in Malta it would all be free but In France, you must pay the doctor and pharmacist in full and then claim a partial refund later, using your EHIC. As a hospital inpatient, you must pay around 25% of the treatment costs yourself direct to the hospital and a small daily inpatient charge for food and laundry. These costs are not refundable and are your own responsibility.

Malta

I’ve just applied for mine having only just realised that my card ran out three years ago..good job I didn’t jolly well get crushed on that boat trip from Hell the other day !!

Wakefield, West Yorks.

It must be remembered that they have to be renewed every 5 years and they are not a replacement for overseas health insurance. There are many countries within the EU that have public health hospitals etc. but I don’t think you would want to be in one of them.

London

That looks like a good site, and one which I haven’t heard of before, more comps and more freebies – will have to have a good look later as I have to go out shortly. Thanks for the link Grey Wolf….

Bedford

Just visted http://www.MagicFreebiesuk.co.uk today, to discover that the NHS are using it as a platform by which you can obtain your free NHS European Health Insurance Card by filling in their online form.

Wakefield, West Yorks.
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message