Welcome to our forums.

Am I the only one or........

27 Posts

The number of calls we have received has dropped off dramatically of late. Not sure why but quite grateful.

Essex UK
Don’t they even keep records of when they’ve been told to sling their hooks once already ?

May be they are working to a quota so don’t really care who they phone up.

ESW
Scunthorpe

They’re getting lazier/more remiss…mother had a real go at one the other day.

Next day same one again. Same woman. Same company. Same questions.

Don’t they even keep records of when they’ve been told to sling their hooks once already ?

Wakefield, West Yorks.
Maybe that is one of the advantages of having a surname beginning with W – they don’t get that far down the list….

Enjoy the respite while you can, they will no doubt get around to the W again…..

Bedford

Maybe that is one of the advantages of having a surname beginning with W – they don’t get that far down the list….

ESW
Scunthorpe

ESW just jogged my memory re nuisance phone calls, so I thought I would just update you all.

We have finally decided today to get an answerphone, we are still getting a minimum of 3 calls a day and some days as many a five – six being the the most in one day…

We will be informing all our family and friends to identify themselves to the answerphone and we will pick up the call……….Its just got out of all proportion now, time for action.

Bedford

Banks, HMRC etc. will never send you an email that requires personal information.

London

A friend has received an email from the Income Tax, saying she’s due some money back……they want all her details, which is funny for a company that know so much about her that they knew she was owed money by them….if you get what I mean.
it’s a straight scam, of course.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
They are not selling sheds are they?

Funny you should say that……………No

Bedford

They are not selling sheds are they?

London
Yes, they are annoying. It’s even worse when you receive them whilst overseas as you are paying for the call. I have signed into TPS the site that is supposed to stop them and it does seem to work. Haven’t had any in the last 2 months. Having said that I will probably get one now.

I’ve been registered with the TPS for the last couple of years but it will only stop calls from the UK, although it would appear that a UK company can now route there calls through an overseas provider which is what seems to be happening as a lot of mine have an international prefix……

Bedford

Yes, they are annoying. It’s even worse when you receive them whilst overseas as you are paying for the call. I have signed into TPS the site that is supposed to stop them and it does seem to work. Haven’t had any in the last 2 months. Having said that I will probably get one now.

London

At work yesterday i received no less than seven of these annoying calls in a six hour shift, you would have thought by now that they would have got the message, or does anyone actually listen to them I wonder!!

They are a dam nuisance that’s for sure, especially as it means I have to get up to answer the phone.

Bedfordshire

The phone call supposedly from "Windows Maintenance" came just as I was paying the window cleaner, and G told the Asian lady that we’d just had our windows cleaned, thank you!
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria
I was asked once if I would like to contribute towards sick dogs. I said I didn’t have a sick dog to give them…..sorry.

Normally I say "I already contribute to the charities I’d like to support".

This guy left the door so far open though, I just had to walk though it (so to speak).

I wonder if he’s changed the way he approaches people now?

I liked the response of the guy who, when asked if he’d like to contribute to Water For Africa, said he’s love to, but his hosepipe only went to the end of his garden

Brilliant

Essex UK
I was asked once if I would like to contribute towards sick dogs. I said I didn’t have a sick dog to give them…..sorry.

This guy left the door so far open though, I just had to walk though it (so to speak).

I liked the response of the guy who, when asked if he’d like to contribute to Water For Africa, said he’s love to, but his hosepipe only went to the end of his garden

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

We really did this, in student days, in a shared house.
An RSPCA lady came collecting, with the infamous words:"I’m collecting for…."
So, one student picked up the over-fed house cat, put it in her arms and closed the door.
Minutes later, a timorous knock….
Jo.

Nr. Seascale, Cumbria

Essex UK

These encounters also leave you feeling very mean when you refuse to sign up to some well deserving cause too. I refuse to be bounced into contributing in this way.

ESW
Scunthorpe

I’d take this a stage further Barrowman…do you ever get accosted by the foot soldiers of those same causes who literally stop you in the street with all manner of whacky antics, appeal and charm ? Usually bright eyed, bushy tailed out-of-work drama students who have no problem in getting your attention for this or that charity and who are probably paid on some measly commission-only structure.

I wouldn’t mind if, if only for their sake – kids trying to make a first living, I could just slip a meagre coin donation in their mitt and be on my way. But oh no. Apparently since a lot of internal corruption in these organisations cash payments are neither sought nor accepted. BANK DETAILS. Nothing less.

Quite scary really. Steer well clear.

Wakefield, West Yorks.

My wife spotted this on her facebook page. Long but worth reading:
I was at home the other night in the middle of my dinner when the phone rang.
ME: Hello.
AT&T: Hello, this is AT&T.
ME: Is this AT&T.
AT&T: Yes, this is AT&T …
ME: This is AT&T.
ME: Is this AT&T.?
AT&T: Yes! This is AT&T, may I speak to Mr. Byron, please?
ME: May I ask who is calling?
AT&T: This is AT&T.
ME: OK, hold on.
At this point I put the phone down for a solid 5 minutes thinking that, surely, this person would have hung up the phone. I ate my salad. Much to my surprise, when I picked up the receiver, they were still waiting.
ME: Hello?
AT&T: Is this Mr. Byron?
ME: May I ask who is calling, please?
ME: This is AT&T?
ME: The phone company.
AT&T: Yes, sir.
ME: I thought you said this was AT&T.
AT&T: Yes, sir, we are a phone company.
ME: I already have a phone.
AT&T: We aren’t selling phones today, Mr. Byron. We would like to offer you 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
ME: Now, that’s 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day?
AT&T: (getting a little excited at this point by my interest) Yes, sir, that’s right! 24 hours a day!
ME: 7 days a week.?
AT&T: That’s right.
ME: 365 days a year.?
AT&T: Yes, sir.
ME: I am definitely interested in that! Wow!!! That’s amazing!
AT&T: We think so!
ME: That’s quite a sum of money!
AT&T: Yes, sir, it’s amazing how it adds up.
ME: OK, so will you send me checks weekly, monthly or just one big one at the end of the year for the full $52,560; and if you send an annual check, can I get a cash advance?
AT&T: Excuse me?
ME: You know, the 10 cents a minute.
AT&T: What are you talking about?
ME: You said you’d give me 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That comes to $144 per day, $1008 per week and $52,560 per year. I’m just interested in knowing how you will be making payment.
AT&T: Oh, no, sir. I didn’t mean we’d be paying you. You pay us 10 cents a minute.
ME: Wait a minute, how do you figure that by saying that you’ll give me 10 cents a minute, that I’ll give YOU 10 cents a minute? Is this some kind of subliminal telemarketing scheme? I’ve read about things like this in the Enquirer, you know.
AT&T: No, sir, we are offering 10 cents a minute for
ME: THERE YOU GO AGAIN! Can I speak to a supervisor please?
AT&T: Sir, I don’t think that is necessary.
ME: I insist on speaking to a supervisor!
AT&T: Yes, Mr. Byron. Please hold.
At this point, I begin trying to finish my dinner.
SUPERVISOR: Mr. Byron?
ME: Yeah.
SUPERVISOR: I understand you are not quite understanding our 10 cents a minute program.
ME: Is This A T &T?
SUPERVISOR: Yes, sir, it sure is.
ME: (I had to swallow before I choked on my food. It was all I could do to suppress my laughter and I had to be Careful not to produce a snort.) No, actually, I was just waiting for someone to get back to me so that I could sign up for the plan.
SUPERVISOR: Ok, no problem, I’ll transfer you back to the person who was helping you.
ME: Thank you.
I was on hold once again and managed a few more mouthfuls. I need to end this conversation. Suddenly, there was an aggravated but polite voice at the other end of the phone.
AT&T: Hello, Mr. Byron, I understand that you are interested in signing up for our plan.?
ME: No, but I was wondering – do you have that "Friends and Family"
thing because I’m an only child and I’d really like to have a little brother…
AT&T: click……..

Essex UK

They also have an uncany knack of ringing at the worst possible time too.

I must admit I usually put the phone down and leave them to talk to themselves…

ESW
Scunthorpe
I tell them I live in an apartment.

Brilliant or even better a house boat……I must try that one

Essex UK

I tell them I live in an apartment.

London

I seem to suffer pretty much the same level of calls, if its not solar panels its surveys or its double glazing or conservatories.

Now I do realise these guys are just doing a job but I do wish they would give me a break and go and annoy someone else for a change. With the best will in the world I find it extremely difficult not to just slam the phone down on them.

Bedfordshire

You are certainly not alone. I’m also registered & x directory but the calls keep coming, although possibly not always in the volume you mention every week. Sad to say that my polite British demeanour is slipping & I’ve got quite good at guessing it’s a cold call in the first few seconds & just say no thanks & put the phone down.
Having said that, when the mood takes me I’m not adverse to a bit of sport. One call told me that he had detected a virus on my computer. So I got him to explain & answer questions on how he was an expert in Windows operating systems. When he clearly thought he had a sale I told him I had a Mac & he was useless to me, then hung up. Naughty I know & a waste of my time but it was a small strike back for us harassed folk

Essex UK

……..do others suffer those people that continually telephone wanting to carry out a survey which I’m sure is only a guise to get information on ones buying habit so that they may sell on your information to interested companies..

This week I have answered five survey calls, two PPI reclaim calls, and three calls regarding solar panels, Oh.and one selling double glazing. Now I’m registered with the call preference service which appears to be of little use, and my numbers not in the book – my question is: can anyone tell me how to stop them without actually throwing the telephone in the bin….

Also I would be interest to hear if others suffer this amount of what I can only call harassment…

Bedford
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message