Welcome to our forums.

Things furry & feathered around the world

That looks more like a song thrush. Fieldfares are larger with a grey head.

ESW
Scunthorpe

Yes, we are lucky but then Mary religiously feeds them every day with nuts, seeds and fat…and some wholemeal bread.
I am not very good at bird spotting, apart from the obvious ones….the regulars are great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, greenfinches, chaffinches, greater woodpeckers, green woodpeckers, jays, etc.
I may have mislead you with the fieldfare…. it is quite likely to be a thrush….song or mistle, not sure, but I am checking with a chum who knows his stuff.
Yes….and it’s snowing in Essex…..this is my thrush (?) friend this morning.

You are lucky to still have a robin – I can’t remember when I last saw one round here. We do get squirrels, which strip my hazel tree of nuts before I have chance to harvest them. They bury them all round my and the neighbour’s gardens and there is a good crop of hazel trees appearing in the neighbourhood.

Last Edited by ESW at 13 Jan 11:41
ESW
Scunthorpe

pink wrote:

squirrels in hyde park, december ’16

We have a couple in the garden that fascinate the Grandchildren (& me). One sits on the fence & keeps watch whilst the other rummages about in our garden.

Essex UK

And…..still in Essex, here are a couple of feathered friends in our own garden
One is a Fieldfare, the other I don’t need to tell you

Catching the moment is the most important thing @Barrowman …that’s a nice shot

On the current theme, I have found an Essex hare……

Not up to the usual standard expected on here but it was a quick shot or no shot….

Bedford

Keep them coming GDB1 – they are too good to not share.

ESW
Scunthorpe

i’m sure we all love your photos gdb1 ~ please don’t stop (or slow down) just because we throw some local wildlife into the mix.

London

Yes please more home grown animals… squirrels are great little creatures….we feed them along with the birds in our garden and don’t have any problems at all with them.
And the eagle was in Kenya, although they don’t normally go down as far as that….I have studied other raptors and cannot find another that fits the bill.

Please let’s have more local animals…. I’m sorry if I have been hogging this thread so far…. I tend to get carried away.

this thread is building up quite a range of brilliant photos ~ thank you everyone.
and thank you riversiderouge for introducing indigenous creatures, which gives me the opportunity to show squirrels in hyde park, december ’16

London

That is a wonderful pictures of a golden eagle. Where did you take it? We’ve seen eagles in the Western Isles and Mull but always soaring overhead.

ESW
Scunthorpe

We know @HMJ is on her travels in India….. people sometimes miss these deer as there are many and different types in India…. I wonder if she saw any at Kanha?…..they are called Hard Ground Swamp Deer or Barasinga, this is a small family of these very gentle and beautiful creatures from about 100 yds away….

And this one is a real Golden Eagle…….it is the most commonly recognised but rarely photographed. We saw him over 50 yds away on top of a tree…they are quite stunning creatures. I am afraid that I wasn’t good enough to catch him in flight…maybe next time.

The squirrel has a little ‘catchlight’ in his eye…..that’s good as it shows you have caught the light just right…….yes, and the little person does look like Orville.

Finally let this be a warning to those who have bird feeders in their garden!

This fledgling Blue Tit is in two minds whether to come out or stay in! Looks a bit like Orvil don’t you think?

A cheeky Squirrel in the gardens of Kensington Palace.
Is this what they mean by “Royal Scots Greys”?

You are too kind….. I must be paying you too much!! @Barrowman

Can you just assume in future that I think all you photos are brilliant, this will save me from having to keep saying it every time you post a new one…..

And your right about the Serpent Eagle – a surprised look for sure.

Bedford

And….on the subject of eagles, we caught this Crested Serpent Eagle by surprise….you rarely catch them drinking….it looks at though he’s been caught doing something he shouldn’t be doing.

I can’t compete with Canada Goose shots……lots of detail in the feathers, so you got the exposure very well.

But, how’s about two of my favourite birds from across the water……both are from the Indian subcontinent in different national parks, but truly wild obviously….one is an immature Whited Headed Eagle fairly rare, and the other is a particular favourite, the Changeable Hawk Eagle….both are about the size of a large buzzard

Can’t compete with you GDB……..

Bedford

Thanks @GDB1

Essex UK

What handsome little creatures ……they look quite put out don’t they….. some well captured images there @coolonespa

Some more great stuff @GDB1

I’m going to slide down the food chain and show some colourful & sinister looking crabs from the Seychelles:

Essex UK

I take that as a great compliment @ESW ….remember I have seen your website!

Assuming that some of our fellow travellers do share a little of my passion for wildlife, I thought a few ‘feathered pairs’ might be interesting……

The first one is Indian Roller Birds…they are fairly common throughout India and do seem to pose a little but two together are more unusual

The next is a pair of Guira Cuckoos in a South American forest….. they part of a feeding group a quite some distance away…these two were the only ones who would sit still for a moment

and the final one is a pair of Monk Parakeets quite high in the underside of a tree…..not sure if one was feeding the other, or whether they were just getting together!…..the exposure and focus was quite difficult on this one

@GDB1 Your pictures just get better and better…

ESW
Scunthorpe

…..and then there was this one up in a tree…. he was shuffling around for ages before he finally settled down for a nap. We were very lucky as they normally hang drooped over a branch and partially hidden with legs and tails only visible

Thanks @Barrowman …I note a lot of detail in that head shot of the ‘high’ person, so you are not so bad yourself. Let’s see some more?!
In the meantime…we remember a fairly poor day in terms of sightings in this National Park, so returning back from the far reaches at dusk we heard an alarm call, then a male peacock came scuttling across the track. Our guide said ’ look over there in about 30 seconds, there will be a leopard’…..good though he was, we thought he was pulling our legs….
Then he appeared…..amazing!

A brilliant collection of brilliant photos GDB, your obviously the man with a camera……

Bedford

……and then there was the Langur Monkey who thought…. why should I be drink dirty water like most of the humans, when there is still ONE tap that is working…… yes, monkeys are very bright….note the water coming out of the tap, he knows how to turn it on !

The monkey family are notoriously difficult to photograph in trees where they are at home……they are always on the move, branches, twigs etc normally in the way, and then there’s the bright background……
These images were taken in Northern Tanzania…..the first one is a fairly rare Blue Monkey found in very few areas, so we were quite lucky to see him

and the second one is a pair of baby Baboons who stayed still just for a moment……

And, out of interest, you may like to compare this Cocoi Heron taken on the Cuiba River in South America, with our own Grey Heron.
They are very similar in size and colouring as ours, but in greater numbers……One day we saw over 100 on the bankside, up in trees, etc…they are like sentinels spaced out every 200yds or so, so it’s not difficult to get a good shot!

The young man standing on the edge could be titled…..’Don’t do it lad!‘…….Seychelles is on the bucket list.
In the meantime…. how about another ’near & far’..
The first one is one our wonderful Grey Herons taken at Fowlmere, an RSPB reserve in Cambridgeshire

and the second one is a Honey Buzzard taken from approx. 80yds away in Kanha National park in Middle India.

More great photos in the posts above.

On Aride Island, Seychelles we climbed up the cliff (from inland, not the rock face) so we could look down on the aerial display provided by the Frigate birds:

Here’s the guide showing the way to the edge (GULP!):

and my shots from a foot or two back from the edge:

Essex UK

You are very kind @Cruzeroqueen1 ….whilst I love them I had never thought of Capybaras as sweet, until I reviewed my family photos

..and then there was the one who found a feathered friend to assist with his daily ablutions….

Again, I am in awe of your photos, @GDB1 – please continue to post them. (I had a cuddle with a capybara whilst on an Amazon cruise – so sweet!).

Albox, Costa Almeria, Spain

Yes @Barrowman ….we have some friends like that…always on a high………great shot.
They are such delightful creatures aren’t they

A friend of mine – smokes pot on occasions

Bedford

You certainly have some wonderful photos @GDB1

London

Near and far….. the Brown Hare was found on Havergate Island, an RSPB reserve off the coast of Suffolk near Orford

…and the Red Panda was a wild one found in China….we were very lucky to see him

Nice shot of mum and chick….white animals are difficult.
This one is of a very old Capybara….but we thought the Turkey Vulture was being a little previous !

GDB1 wrote:

The portrait of the giant tortoise is a great shot

Thank @GDB1 fortunately they move mice and slow so plenty of time to compose your shot

Some great shots already on this thread, loving it already.

On Cousin Island Seychelles the White-tailed tropicbird has no significant predator on the island and lay their eggs on the floor, often at the base of a tree. There was a snippet about this on the recent David Attenborough’s Planet Earth II Part 1 Islands:

Essex UK

Last one today……this is my favourite jaguar shot on the move. It was taken in Brazil along a river bank in the Pantanal; very difficult to get a good shot as they are normally hidden by trees, bushes and undergrowth generally. As said before they are like leopards on steroids….much more heavily boned and muscular.

That’s very interesting ESW…. it backs up the general consensus that the vast majority of wild animals are not dangerous generally, just curious, providing we do not startle them or come between mum and cubs for example.
Mum & cubs photos are always difficult.

The portrait of the giant tortoise is a great shot….I would be very proud of that.
So, how’s about some feathered friends, Jabiru Storks, who have just caught a tiger snake for supper. The storks are probably the largest in the world, standing at over 5’0" tall.

Sign in to add your message